Thoughts and prayers for Joe Rice #23

A560

Ride on Joe !! Hope this is OK Mark, saw it on your website and thought it was appropriate....

I saw the video. holy crap Joe! Even all injured, its amazing how awesome your attitude is. Your crazy!

I checked it out too. That's def a good Huck and you were very close to landing on top! 10 on the form of the dismount Joe! With the killer quality images that fox takes, I hope we see the rest of the pictures. Definitely would make one think which although the outcome for Joe was rough, maybe it'll make some people chill on the track a little and not try to push the limits. Hope they at least got you in a good room and your as comfy as possible.

I want to thank everyone that helped me today. A huge thank you to Berkheimer,his fiancée Jules,Campbell for the easy up, BJ and Brock, Mark Fox, and the other 20+ people that helped make the wait for the ambulance as painless as possible. And as of right now, they've fixed the tibs and fibs with rods, but still gotta wait a day or two before they'll start the first surgery on my foot. The first one will be to fix the 6 or 7 spots that are right below my toes. Then about a week after that, they'll do surgery to fix my heel which is fractured up the back. The DR said with the amount of damage done to the foot, there is definitely gonna be a high amount of arthritis, and possibly a fused ankle down the road. I'll know more tomorrow and will keep you guys posted. Thanks to everyone again for all the help!

WOW! Just watched it on facebook........that is one hell of a jump to attemp. One thing Joe Rice has is steel ones for even attempting that leap. Had you been tripling it earlier and just decided as you were coming around that time to go for it all? I can not imagine that jump.....my mind would not even think about it! Hope you heel up well.

Yeah. I had been tripling it the couple weekends when I was there. And did it a few times Sunday morning. Well one time I hit it on a previous weekend, I over jumped the landing and it wasn't too bad. So I thought if it still felt the same, which it did, if I landed the jump before it and pinned it, I'd be just fine. I went at it the first time, overjumped the jump before it, and locked em up. Second attempt, I downsided that jump before pretty well and pinned it. As I got into the air I knew I wasn't gonna make it. And I quickly decided if I didn't ditch the bike, there was a good possibility my back would take a majority of the impact. Berkheimer was sitting right there and said the frame bottomed. And from what I can see on the video, it does look like it did too. If that is the case, my back would've taken 99.99% of that hit. Which would've had a very nasty ending. Although my legs snapped, at least they acted somewhat like shocks and my back didn't take all the blow. Either way you look at it, my back is fine, so I'm very pleased with that. The legs shall heal for the most part at least. May not be perfect, but better than the back or knees.

You have to be a member if you want to enlarge the images. Bummer hope u heal fast, out of curiosity id like to see the vid but i dont have a fb so if ne one wants to post a link....

after hanging out in the hospital for a bit yesterday you gotta wonder what nurses / doctors think of all of us. normally its me laying there, so its differnet in the other perspective. seeing joes attitude and stuff all busted up.. i know im the same way.. still messing w/ the nurses and laughing about s**t. i think that they probably think we are all insane???? i think growing up riding motocross makes you tolerate way more pain than the average person lol..

We were sitting there watching him clear the table top and the next jump with a feeling that he was going to try and clear them all. It sounded like you didn't hook up well on the take off and my son said, "needs more throttle". With no one out on the track at the time, it was really eerie hearing the whole thing. You could hear everything.

Scary video, Joe. Cant ever imagine sacking up enough for anything like that, you gots the big ones.

Best wishes for your recovery.

Hope he does ok as that looked way beyond nasty as he had some major air, distance & speed.
Wishing Joe a good & full recovery.

Back