Where are the Ohio riders at Loretta's?

TPMX #8

PR Addict
WOW
Pick a track lets just go ride before Like Senic Highlands and Spring Valley their gone
Two of my favorites.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
JO made a comment that a race cost 8 times more than a practice day? That comment kind of hit me funny. I would be very curious to know why it would be 8 times more to run a race than a practice day? Still need flaggers, still need an ambulance, still need the water, equipment, and tractors, still need someone taking money and waivers at sign up. What are the things that cost 8 times more?

I said a typical race cost 5 times as much, we are up to 8x the cost the Battle for Ohio.

Squad - $500 min. for the day
Awards - at least $750
Payout for A classes - Probably $1000 going cheap
Flaggers and help $500
insurance - $1000

$3750, trust me this is doing it on the cheap.

Normal practice - Fuel, equipment, portajohns, ins, help - $750 per day.

Battle for Ohio

$2600 in awards
$1000 in bookoo product
$500 in hard candy girls
$500 for a stage , Dj etc.
$600 in extra portjohns just for this race
$1800 in acerbis track markers

Its actually closer to 10x the normal practice.

Do I need to continue???

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I told my kids no beach this year in 2007 because the races didnt do well enough. AND that is why we quit running races. TRUTH.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I said a typical race cost 5 times as much, we are up to 8x the cost the Battle for Ohio.

Squad - $500 min. for the day
Awards - at least $750
Payout for A classes - Probably $1000 going cheap
Flaggers and help $500
insurance - $1000

$3750, trust me this is doing it on the cheap.

Normal practice - Fuel, equipment, portajohns, ins, help - $750 per day.

Battle for Ohio

$2600 in awards
$1000 in bookoo product
$500 in hard candy girls
$500 for a stage , Dj etc.
$600 in extra portjohns just for this race
$1800 in acerbis track markers

Its actually closer to 10x the normal practice.

Do I need to continue???
KuhhSlam.

I didn't say you called me a homo 23. I was just letting you know the homo stereotype if you didn't know already, because I'm sure you haven't refilled your last months supply of bipolar meds. So when you explode next (which to me is probably soon given your statistics in posting "blow up" threads). Just giving you some more ammunition for your supply of lame stabs.

John250

PR Founding Father
My dad has been a member of DMC since 1967. If they draw say 250 riders (which is pretty normal count for them), they make in the neighborhood of $6500 to $7000 off a motocross.
If I am JO and have had bad experience with races in the past I am not spending the money on some of the things he has listed.
BC draws over 200 riders for a practice and they don't have any onsite paramedics?

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
My dad has been a member of DMC since 1967. If they draw say 250 riders (which is pretty normal count for them), they make in the neighborhood of $6500 to $7000 off a motocross.
If I am JO and have had bad experience with races in the past I am not spending the money on some of the things he has listed.
BC draws over 200 riders for a practice and they don't have any onsite paramedics?

No paramedics.

My bad experiences are the reason we will gamble on one race, I will promote and spend how I see fit. I want to do one big race and thats what were are doing.

I think either the math is flawed or possibly the english in your statement. To "make" that money do mean profit, or is that what they have in the money bag? I could see that much money minus expenses, but there no way they profitted that much. So if my costs are correct, then they made 2-3000 bucks to work themselves twice as hard, and have three times the headaches.

No offense here, but I do find it offensive when people comment as a person in the know, when they have never walked a mile in those shoes. Just because you have ridden for a long long time, doesnt mean you understand running an mx track. And I dont think that a majority that are currently trying to do it understand it either. I have a decent handle, and Im still learning and improving.

John250

PR Founding Father
250 riders - $25 a class = $6250, and many run multiple classes
$10 a head to get in, lets say 750 people = $7500
Concessions add a little more money.
All equipment is paid for, they do not buy brand new tractors. Fuel for tractors. It is a club, so no one is paid. Yes they can clear $6500

Looking at your expenses, the one that just jumps out and grabs me is $1800 for track markers??? Are you serious.....disc it up, and we know where the track goes. Get some hay bales and put covers over them. I would never spend $1800 for track markers. $500 in hard candy girls..really, we are coming to race a great track, not see chicks in bikinis, $500 for stage and DJ........Theres $2800 you could save yourself in my opinion. Anyone else have an opinion?

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
All equipment is paid for, they do not buy brand new tractors. Fuel for tractors. It is a club, so no one is paid. Yes they can clear $6500

OK, maybe I should adopt the DMC model, it seems to working very well......

Anyway. I think my point is that promotors that are trying to go above and beyond (making events cool) for the riders arent getting rich by no means, some cant even quit their day job. Ahem. Perhaps DMC or some of the other southwest tracks are making good money once or twice a year, but what about the 100 rider days (dont tell me they're all 250 rider turnouts)?? You got to average it all out, and open riding is where its at on average. We have had two days this year with less than 100 riders, the rest have been well over that mark.

If we could average 500 racers, then yes we would be racing. But at 5x the cost min., It makes no sense to run all races.

I think this thread has proven one thing, diehard racers are hard headed and they dont want to give the glory days.

mblair

PR Founding Father
i dont' think that you 2 are comparing apples to apples. What JO is talking is one BIG race a year in which HE decides to add "bonuses" for the riders and spectators and John is taling about just a local normal race. If DMC would add this things to their LOCAL race it may add to their crowd but i doubt it though. People go to DMC because they are local and its a local track IMO. What the Cliff is trying to do is draw from all of those crowds for a BIG ohio race. Again this is all just my opinion from a dumb racer.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
i dont' think that you 2 are comparing apples to apples. What JO is talking is one BIG race a year in which HE decides to add "bonuses" for the riders and spectators and John is taling about just a local normal race. If DMC would add this things to their LOCAL race it may add to their crowd but i doubt it though. People go to DMC because they are local and its a local track IMO. What the Cliff is trying to do is draw from all of those crowds for a BIG ohio race. Again this is all just my opinion from a dumb racer.

Very good point Mike.

#23_Racing

PR Addict
KuhhSlam.

I didn't say you called me a homo 23. I was just letting you know the homo stereotype if you didn't know already, because I'm sure you haven't refilled your last months supply of bipolar meds. So when you explode next (which to me is probably soon given your statistics in posting "blow up" threads). Just giving you some more ammunition for your supply of lame stabs.

Bipolar? lol no wounder your only a nurse. You know there are 2 people I get into it with posts and thas you and Hershey and at the battle of ohio I will shake the hand of hershey and lol about all this internet stuff but you George Il pass because, and BTW the meds I take is to keep me from punching *******s like you in the face. How that for a bipolar post?

#23_Racing

PR Addict

Looking at your expenses, the one that just jumps out and grabs me is $1800 for track markers??? Are you serious.....disc it up, and we know where the track goes. Get some hay bales and put covers over them. I would never spend $1800 for track markers. $500 in hard candy girls..really, we are coming to race a great track, not see chicks in bikinis, $500 for stage and DJ........Theres $2800 you could save yourself in my opinion. Anyone else have an opinion?

I agree but my opinion never matters in here. These things are for show only.

John250

PR Founding Father
I was refering to BC running local races, and making money at it. It can be done. Don kenworthy made tons of money in the 80s and 90s running local races, and eventually was rewarded with a huge pay day with the national.

#23_Racing

PR Addict
OK, maybe I should adopt the DMC model, it seems to working very well......

Anyway. I think my point is that promotors that are trying to go above and beyond (making events cool) for the riders arent getting rich by no means, some cant even quit their day job. Ahem. Perhaps DMC or some of the other southwest tracks are making good money once or twice a year, but what about the 100 rider days (dont tell me they're all 250 rider turnouts)?? You got to average it all out, and open riding is where its at on average. We have had two days this year with less than 100 riders, the rest have been well over that mark.

If we could average 500 racers, then yes we would be racing. But at 5x the cost min., It makes no sense to run all races.

I think this thread has proven one thing, diehard racers are hard headed and they dont want to give the glory days.

If tracks like pyma and melvern didnt run so many races then you would bring in more riders to a race. If BC was the only track racing on Sat then the riders will come but when there are 4-5 places racing the same day then everything gets split. The best track I have ever been to and puts on the best show is Baja in MI. We pplan on spending most of the rest of thr season up in MI.

#23_Racing

PR Addict
I was refering to BC running local races, and making money at it. It can be done. Don kenworthy made tons of money in the 80s and 90s running local races, and eventually was rewarded with a huge pay day with the national.

NO one is doing this for free there is some kinda money being made maybe not the big # that most are looking for but something. Look at the equipment being used ! If not making money you would thing older more beat up tractors that would do the same job would be used. I dont buy the best new equipment I buy the best old equipment I can afford and still make money. People that spend extra money to look good are making money or going broke.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I know we are spending extra money, but we are trying to give this race the look and feel of something more than just a local race.

Maybe too much money? What is too much? It varys from person to person. I think the difference here is that i want to do this event, and Im not doing it as a huge money maker. Our weekly practices are the money makers, everyone knows that. And maybe i want to give some of that back. Sorry for wanting deliver on a higher level.

The first step to get Ohio back on track, is for people to race the Battle for Ohio!!!!

hershey

PR Elite
For the love of the sport
For having pride in your efforts and facility
For having a PASSION in your facility

Yeah, I know....passion is my word of the day. But it describes what JO has, what BJ and Brock have , What Jason has...and all the other track owners( race or practice) that are making money and have good turnouts have.

Bah...rant over today