Where are the Ohio riders at Loretta's?

I miss the days of going to Spring Valley, OIR, Western Reserve ect. ect. That is why we were so upset when OIR began it's problems. Our tracks here locally are not what they should be. Everyone complains when things get a little rough. Starts are bad too. Locally you are on the line with a handful of riders and then go to a big track whether it be a qualifer or a regional and take off with 40 or 42 riders. Well, I can't totally say that about qualifiers anymore. Attendance there has been lacking. I don't know what happened but I wish we could go back. It was fun then. I do wish we had more tracks to race here locally. I wish Briar Cliff would hold races .You can't force it on him though and if he did start holding more races and not enough riders showed up he loses, not us. (I am sure doing a lot of wishing here!!)

All this talk of practice reminds me of two very good friends we had years back. They practiced constantly, predominantly at Outlaw extreme. They thought they were the cat's meow they were so fast. No one could touch them. Finally towards the end of the season they both attended a race at Spring Valley, B class I believe. They finished last and next to last in both motos!!

john250 you obviously know more than JO and everyone else. Maybe you should start your own track and show them how much money you can make. P.S. the 80" and 90"s are over.

john250 you obviously know more than JO and everyone else. Maybe you should start your own track and show them how much money you can make. P.S. the 80" and 90"s are over.

interest in politics? Seriously?

:cool:

interest in politics? Seriously?

:cool:

You guys would be surprised to know that John250 is/was a politician in his neck of the woods, wouldn't you?

There are 1000's of reasons people can come up with, but reality is reality around here. Ohio isn't the biggest money state around anymore, Ohio doesn't have year round riding weather, and Ohio's racing organizations have fallen flat over the past 10 years all contribute to the decline in racing / racers around here. And when there is good racing nearby (Southern Ohio isn't far from the Mega Series, Northern Ohio isn't far from Michigan tracks, Eastern Ohio can get to PAMX facilities) there is no reason to stay in Ohio's stale area which contributes to the decline in future racers seeing the local "good" guys.

Yes I am still a politician. Started my second term this year. I do not claim to know more than JO. But I also believe that sometimes people are great at what they do, for example, JO building and prepping a great track. But that also does not always translate into being a good business manager. And running a track is a business. You need to have a business plan, and budget going into your year. I've managed multi million dollar organizations and made a profit at the end of each year. That's why I questioned some of JOs purchases for a one off race, that he has no idea how many people are going to be there. Have we seen any advertisement of the race any where but here? I am at D11 tracks, and never seen a flyer or anything. I understand that he wants to make it more than a local race, and I am very cool with that. But he has had BAD experiences with races in the past. This race kind of started out as fun right here on Pitracer I believe. So if I were JO, I would go on the cheap side of things the first time around because of bad experiences in the past, and then try and go big next year by promoting it early and all season. If the track is as awesome as everyone says, and provides all the things that we are all looking for in a great track to race on, then we dont need all the fluff. Lets all show up, show the guy we are willing to support him, and next year he can go big. But we should be willing to do that to support the track so he does make some money. Drop those $1800 track markers, Drop the DJ and stage, Drop the hard candy girls, and let JO make another $2800 profit for the race. Just my opinion. I do know some things about promoting. My parent promoted local, state, and national BMX races in the 80s. The races drew hundreds upon hundreds of riders back then. My mom was on the state and national boards for the NBL. So yeah, maybe it is not MX, but BMX, but either way they promoted races. My dad has been in the DMC since 1967, so Ive done about every job you can think of at a race track also. While never doing it on my own, I do have a pretty good knowledge of what it takes to promote and run races.

One could say that JO is making a mistake but in my eyes he is gambling making a event that will take his track to the next level. Yeah those Acerbis track markers are expensive but you only see them at National level tracks. When you add entertainment other than racing, it attracts new people which brings in more money. And ever hear the phase "It takes money to make money."

I think it takes alot of balls to tell someone like JO that he is wrong in his doing's. Im willing to bet he will prove everyone wrong and have a sick event. Hopefully bring some light to a dim Ohio race scene.

Thinking back at all the races I have ever been too, they all blend together minus a few. What sets races apart from others is the enviroment. How lame would LL be if everything shut down right after the motos everyday? How about baja brawl? A combination of entertainment and racing always provides a good time and no one in Ohio is making that leap yet. Giving an already sick track a national feel by yellow track markers will make everyone feel warm and fuzzy inside going around the track. I think its awesome he is taking the event this serious, and I hope the battle of ohio gets the support to see it continue for years to come.

John250 your opinion is spot on. It takes money to make money is some that people without money say. Also, Briarcliff seems to be the hype these days... I think I know why. (little to do with the actual track) what is the next step for this track? What are you trying to achieve? You can only pile dirt so high and configure a track so many ways. John Deere only makes so many attachments...

but anyway... lets not forget the transition this sport has made in the last decade. In my experience, at my local track (malvern) the years where there were the most racers were 2001 and 2006. A couple things to take note of here. In 2001, the track was probably the tamest I had ever seen it. No tunnel jump and no gravity cavity. A lot of people new to the sport were not affraid to go out and give it a try. Also, we were in the pre - 450 (modern 4-stroke era). Bikes were light, easy to maintain and costs were low. However, in the following years the four stroke started to catch on. To the point where the average two stroke rider was at a disadvantage. On top of that, they were reasonably affordable. (under 7k) And this was before the economy tanked. As the progression of the four stroke went on, the tracks tried to keep up. big jumps here, whoops there, rythm sections... and on and on. I believe this is when the modern day pro-practicer was bread. 2006 was the first year malvern offered practice days (if i remember correctly.) If you couldn't afford the upkeep of a four stroke, and did not want to risk life and limb on a race track, then the next best thing was open riding. here we are today.

Wonder why they always take the offering at church BEFORE the Sermon?

So, what would be a reasonable Return On Investment on a race? Maybe we could just count the people coming in the gate and racing and then add up all the costs plus a modest profit and divide that by the number of people and racers and just have people and racers pay as they leave! Then everyone would be fairly treated and the promoter will make a profit!

Sort of reminds me of driving to New York City...they let you cross the bridge going in for free, but when you want to go back across to leave they charge you $10 to get out!

Come to think of it we prepay almost everything in life, except perhaps the electric and water bill, but that will eventually change with smart metering. Yet I digress, but we seem to always have to have worked for two weeks before we get paid.

Thinking back at all the races I have ever been too, they all blend together minus a few. What sets races apart from others is the enviroment. How lame would LL be if everything shut down right after the motos everyday? How about baja brawl? A combination of entertainment and racing always provides a good time and no one in Ohio is making that leap yet. Giving an already sick track a national feel by yellow track markers will make everyone feel warm and fuzzy inside going around the track. I think its awesome he is taking the event this serious, and I hope the battle of ohio gets the support to see it continue for years to come.

Im all for making the track and race look good I really am but when you get people like Georgie that jumps on peoples sH&^% and trys to say these promotors are not making any money and others saying start your own track well that just dumb. Is Georgie going to be the anouncer at Battle Of Ohio? If so we might just race in MI that weekend. Way to much nut hugging going on in some of these posts. BC good luck and Im sure your going to put on 1 hell of a race and hope it turns into something huge.

I think one of the big problems in Ohio MX is all the washed up riders that have nothing left to offer to this sport but being a pitracer forum jocky that complains about everything but has no will to try to fix anything, The 80's are gone the 90's are gone things need to change in this sport and they are in alot of other states than ohio. My son looked up to riders like Jay Hershey, Carl Schlact and Vince Karnow and had trained with all 3 but now who do young kids look up to? Hell my son had a A rider take him out and threw his bike in the ditch and told him he was going to kick his AZZ and for what? Because my son caught him in a race and passed him. Ohio was alot better place when we had the Jay's Vince's and the Carls for our kids to look up to. Alot of people do not look at our young riders as the future of this sport. Pitracer is the biggest Ohio website but has nothing for the younger riders and has not suported the youth in this sport since I have been a member with this site its all about vet riders 25+ 30+ 40+ and so on, if there is no mini parents there is no mini riders. There you go start with the little guys and start building Ohio back up with them.

WOW!!!

Either you have not been on Pitracer the last 10 years or you need to start your own Forum and website! The site used to have many different forum areas and topics. I and many others have posted tons of stuff to help out Novice riders on this forum in the past.

Maybe you do need to start your own track and try all your ideas. Perhaps it will all work and you will become known far and wide for the best track in Ohio and have fame and fortune while revitalizing motocross in Ohio and raising up a new generation of champions. Thats not a "dumb" idea, it's the American Way. Put your money where your mouth is man.

By the way, your hero Carl Schlact took my 450 "B" rider son out by T-boning him in the next corner after my son passed him in a race at Spring Valley in 2003. Guess Carl didn't like getting passed by a 15 year old then, but he has probably matured more since he must be about 30 or more by now!

Yes I am still a politician. Started my second term this year. I do not claim to know more than JO. But I also believe that sometimes people are great at what they do, for example, JO building and prepping a great track. But that also does not always translate into being a good business manager. And running a track is a business. You need to have a business plan, and budget going into your year. I've managed multi million dollar organizations and made a profit at the end of each year. That's why I questioned some of JOs purchases for a one off race, that he has no idea how many people are going to be there. Have we seen any advertisement of the race any where but here? I am at D11 tracks, and never seen a flyer or anything. I understand that he wants to make it more than a local race, and I am very cool with that. But he has had BAD experiences with races in the past. This race kind of started out as fun right here on Pitracer I believe. So if I were JO, I would go on the cheap side of things the first time around because of bad experiences in the past, and then try and go big next year by promoting it early and all season. If the track is as awesome as everyone says, and provides all the things that we are all looking for in a great track to race on, then we dont need all the fluff. Lets all show up, show the guy we are willing to support him, and next year he can go big. But we should be willing to do that to support the track so he does make some money. Drop those $1800 track markers, Drop the DJ and stage, Drop the hard candy girls, and let JO make another $2800 profit for the race. Just my opinion. I do know some things about promoting. My parent promoted local, state, and national BMX races in the 80s. The races drew hundreds upon hundreds of riders back then. My mom was on the state and national boards for the NBL. So yeah, maybe it is not MX, but BMX, but either way they promoted races. My dad has been in the DMC since 1967, so Ive done about every job you can think of at a race track also. While never doing it on my own, I do have a pretty good knowledge of what it takes to promote and run races.

John - Thanks for all the talks and your wisdom. I feel empowered now. I feel like a new promotor. I will trim the fat, cut taxes, and by god we will have us the best damn battle for ohio eastern licking county has ever seen. This message brought to you by the citizens for briarcliff supremacy.

Im all for making the track and race look good I really am but when you get people like Georgie that jumps on peoples sH&^% and trys to say these promotors are not making any money and others saying start your own track well that just dumb. Is Georgie going to be the anouncer at Battle Of Ohio? If so we might just race in MI that weekend. Way to much nut hugging going on in some of these posts. BC good luck and Im sure your going to put on 1 hell of a race and hope it turns into something huge.

I think one of the big problems in Ohio MX is all the washed up riders that have nothing left to offer to this sport but being a pitracer forum jocky that complains about everything but has no will to try to fix anything, The 80's are gone the 90's are gone things need to change in this sport and they are in alot of other states than ohio. My son looked up to riders like Jay Hershey, Carl Schlact and Vince Karnow and had trained with all 3 but now who do young kids look up to? Hell my son had a A rider take him out and threw his bike in the ditch and told him he was going to kick his AZZ and for what? Because my son caught him in a race and passed him. Ohio was alot better place when we had the Jay's Vince's and the Carls for our kids to look up to. Alot of people do not look at our young riders as the future of this sport. Pitracer is the biggest Ohio website but has nothing for the younger riders and has not suported the youth in this sport since I have been a member with this site its all about vet riders 25+ 30+ 40+ and so on, if there is no mini parents there is no mini riders. There you go start with the little guys and start building Ohio back up with them.

You talk allot. Have fun in Michigan.

this site its all about vet riders 25+ 30+ 40+ and so on, if there is no mini parents there is no mini riders.

Explain how this makes sense? If the site is about the vet riders but we have no mini parents then who the hell are the mini parents? The college boy classes...16-24?

At Loretta's (and this thread did start as Ohio riders at Loretta's), Collegeboy is 16-24 B/C.
bruce

Back