Action Sports site on dates for 2013 AMA Vintage National Championship Series round

Drove a total of 5 hrs in the rain/snow to pick up a 82 YZ490 yesterday-Can't wait to do some vintage racing on the Big Bore!

Drove a total of 5 hrs in the rain/snow to pick up a 82 YZ490 yesterday-Can't wait to do some vintage racing on the Big Bore!

Congrats! However, my betting money will be that you don't even still own the bike by the time the AMA series starts!

Price was right. I raced a 82 YZ125/250 in the 125/250 B classes in 82, I have a soft spot for them.

Owning and racing my 82 YZ250 for a few years now, I kinda relate. She's obese but has a motor that just loves to scream. There's also a lot of them out there and parts are plentiful.

Curious, how does the bike feel to you compared to the CR500 you had recently?

I"m itch'n bad to get an 83/84 YZ125 & 250. Just knowing how well they race, just to see how I could do against the RM racers out there. :)

I have not even sat on the 490 yet, I guessing it's way heavier feeling than the CR500. 1982 YZ's in general are pigs, with the 490’s being the worst.
Speaking of 84 YZ’s I have 84 YZ250 being delivered to TB901 work soon. It’s complete minus the front end.

Attachments

• 15494309-114364-large.jpg
    15494309-114364-large.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 191
I"m itch'n bad to get an 83/84 YZ125 & 250. Just knowing how well they race, just to see how I could do against the RM racers out there. :)

What, you want less weight and better handling? They really feel more like a modern bike with drum brakes and a rear linkage that isn't quite dialed in right. But the rear can be made better by updating the shock and spring.

I have not even sat on the 490 yet, I guessing it's way heavier feeling than the CR500. 1982 YZ's in general are pigs, with the 490’s being the worst.
Speaking of 84 YZ’s I have 84 YZ250 being delivered to TB901 work soon. It’s complete minus the front end.

Z Spokes! Going to show us the 250 build?

What, you want less weight and better handling? They really feel more like a modern bike with drum brakes and a rear linkage that isn't quite dialed in right. But the rear can be made better by updating the shock and spring.

Why certainly I want less and better. :)
As you say, they don't feel that much different than the moderns. It's like just racing an older Bomber class.

I keep getting my butt handed to me in 40+, so I want every advantage I can get. I'll be 48 this year, so I'm already eyeing 50+, and it hasn't escaped me that we have some tough racers on the gate there as well.

I'm working on my MX250 at the moment, and I won't mind average results on that bike, it'll be fun just riding and racing it. But PV bike racing is a different mindset.

Why certainly I want less and better. :)
As you say, they don't feel that much different than the moderns. It's like just racing an older Bomber class.

I keep getting my butt handed to me in 40+, so I want every advantage I can get. I'll be 48 this year, so I'm already eyeing 50+, and it hasn't escaped me that we have some tough racers on the gate there as well.

I'm working on my MX250 at the moment, and I won't mind average results on that bike, it'll be fun just riding and racing it. But PV bike racing is a different mindset.

I've heard talk about how well you go on your '82 so you can't be doing too bad.

Your 250 MX should be fun. They handle well and the weight is carried so low that it isn't a factor unless the track is slippery. Just remember to land on the rear wheel and don't jump high or far unless you are really into ouchy, hurty touchdowns.

You'll like this, K01. A couple years ago when we finished our MX360, a week before Vintage Days, we took it out to Smith Road for it's shake down ride. My 21 y/o son had never ridden a true vintage bike on an MX track before so I thought he'd take a lap or two and come in bitching. I figured it was going to be a shock (literally) to him and he wouldn't want to ride it. Well, he took it out and ran about 7 laps and only came in because I waved him in. Giant grin on his face gushing about how much fun it was and how different it was to ride. He really never said much about the lack of travel but raved about how it turned and how much power it had. He absolutely loves that bike and rides it really well.

Anyway, I think you're going to have a blast on your MX250, NQ. Is this your first short travel bike? Post up some pics if you have some.

KRH

You'll like this, K01. A couple years ago when we finished our MX360, a week before Vintage Days, we took it out to Smith Road for it's shake down ride. My 21 y/o son had never ridden a true vintage bike on an MX track before so I thought he'd take a lap or two and come in bitching. I figured it was going to be a shock (literally) to him and he wouldn't want to ride it. Well, he took it out and ran about 7 laps and only came in because I waved him in. Giant grin on his face gushing about how much fun it was and how different it was to ride. He really never said much about the lack of travel but raved about how it turned and how much power it had. He absolutely loves that bike and rides it really well.

Anyway, I think you're going to have a blast on your MX250, NQ. Is this your first short travel bike? Post up some pics if you have some.

KRH

The old MX's turn so well because the limited travel lets the bike's geometry remain fairly constant. And no need for a steering stabilizer with those forks flexing out front.

If you want have some fun, line up next to modern 450 on a smooth start area and see what happens. ;)

Anyway, I think you're going to have a blast on your MX250, NQ. Is this your first short travel bike? Post up some pics if you have some. KRH

Yea first real short travel vintage bike. My Yammy RT100 is a short travel also and I'm pretty used to no suspension playing on that thing.

This was the bike when I bought it.
Didn't run. No compression and damaged piston skirt (original bore though), No spark, and badly shellacked carb. Even had some pretty cool old Yokohama tires on it, which I still have in the barn.
MX250-A.jpg
MX250-B.jpg

Frame stripped, blasted before repaint.
MX250-C.jpg

This is where it's been for the last 7 or 8 months.
Motor split, all new bearings and seals, new top end, new carb., new cables, forks reworked.
I have new spokes and tires, just need to get the wheels done.
A lot of parts bought and waiting, but still a lot of work to do.
MX250-E.jpg
MX250-D.jpg

I'm pretty anxious to here it run and ride it. 2012 got rediculous crazy with work, family and still trying to keep the other bikes going so I could race. Just had to shove it out of the way.

This year is going to be crazy busy as well, but I will get this bike done.

Back