Action Sports site on dates for 2013 AMA Vintage National Championship Series round

With the AMA having the Non-Current class that allows disk brakes, I'd like to get rid of a few bikes and just race my 1987 RM250. Only problem is I don't want to just race one class.

With the AMA having the Non-Current class that allows disk brakes, I'd like to get rid of a few bikes and just race my 1987 RM250. Only problem is I don't want to just race one class.

Up tp '96 in the non-current, right?

Per another site AMA Vintage Series ;Action Sports May 4&5 same date as AHRMA Devils Ridge,Log Road June 1&2 same as AHRMA Axton,Lincoln Trail June 22&23 same as AHRMA Smith Road,Mid-OHIO July 19-21.As someone that just started vintage racing last year,that had not raced for 23 years,this is a disappointment!! I was hoping to get in as many races as I could this year.Yes ive heard that there's been a pissing match between the two organazations in the past,but dont both of them realize that there is only a limited number of vintage riders to draw from?Yes ive heard about guys on here complaining about AHRMA from the past,all I can say is that I went to 7 AHRMA races last year and was very satisfied at each race.If I could rent the ground from Mid-Ohio where the USGP & TRANS-AM was held Iwould have a race on July 20-21! Anybody know the owners?I have all the equipment needed to put it back and water trucks to keep it from being dusty!!!

So you are not happy about AMA and AHRMA running on top of each other, but if you could, you would rent the original Mid Ohio and run on top of the current Mid Ohio?
If the dates fall as you list, all the events that are running on the same dates are about 6-8 hours away from each other.

Ironically for me, I haven't been able to make AHRMA races in the past few years because they have conflicted with Loretta Lynn's races. Once it was announced that there would be a 4 race series for AMA, I figured the same - that I wouldn't be able to make them. But if those really are the dates, I think I can make them!

Also, I think I'll start my petitioning now about the Non-Current class:
How many of you would like to see a 125cc Non Current and a 250-Open Non Current?
I would love it because I have more fun racing those bikes and could bring a 125 and 250 and race two classes.

C-List picture of the 490
Brings back memories as I had one when I rode A class. The dogbone shock linkage is what makes them feel topheavy, but the motor runs sweet when jetted right. They are too rich stock - make sure it has a Q-4 needle jet or you'll foul plugs (I think Q-8 was stock). Then it runs like a Maico!

PitRacer im disapointed that the races are running on top of each other,because that I wanted to run them all! I run post vintage,havnt run vintage yet.My plan is to run Devils Ridge on saturday,then run Action Sport on sunday.Yes the races are 6-8 hrs apart but there are some that would travel to do both if dates didnt conflict. Yes I would love to run a race at the original Mid-Ohio! Bring the right people and I think you could have a Unadilla type of event.Now im not saying Mid-Ohio was the caliber of Unadilla,but alot of history there!Would you rather race at current Mid-Ohio or the original?

I don't know if I've posted these here before or not but here's Mid-Ohio in '75:

Mid-Ohiothetrack.jpg

Mid-Ohio as a horse farm now. The arrow shows the concrete starting gate still there:

Mid-Ohioarrow_zps93ed2ff1.jpg

Mid-Ohio, Home of the Scaffold Dwellers:

ScaffoldstheMid_zps7792e07a.jpg

ScaffoldstheMida_zps7b594169.jpg

One of the guys we watched in '75:

MartySmiththeMid_zps3e606676.jpg

Credit goes to an unknown photographer for those, they came from the net. Google maps for the satellite pic edited by me.

I think all of us would rather race the original track, but I doubt the horses would like it too much.

What site did you find the dates for the races?

KRH

I always wanted a 87 RM250-Hannah looked awesome on his!

Didn't take you long to re-assemble.
A good bath would be a big improvement.
If you you have it at any of our races this year I might hit you up for a ride on it.

Not the same bike-the dis assembled 84 yz250 bike has yet to make it here. YZ490 was complete when I bought it

Doh!
I spotted the disassembled bike pictured was water cooled, and thought that was odd?
I've been recovering from being sick for 2 weeks, (bad sick), Haven't been the sharpest lately.

Brings back memories as I had one when I rode A class. The dogbone shock linkage is what makes them feel topheavy, but the motor runs sweet when jetted right. They are too rich stock - make sure it has a Q-4 needle jet or you'll foul plugs (I think Q-8 was stock). Then it runs like a Maico!

Joe, I think when I first really met you at MV, I was on an '85 YZ 490. Even with a regular linkage and it had a top heavy feel too. That was the bike that put me back on a 125 in '86. Just in time to chase you in the 30+ class!

How do remember what jet you used over 30 years ago?

Yes I would love to run a race at the original Mid-Ohio! Bring the right people and I think you could have a Unadilla type of event.Now im not saying Mid-Ohio was the caliber of Unadilla,but alot of history there!Would you rather race at current Mid-Ohio or the original?

Anything particularly special or unique about the original Mid-Ohio track, besides being a Trans-AMA race?

If the idea were to run this the same weekend as AMA-VMD do you think many would choose the old Mid-Ohio track race over AMA's event?

By the way, glad to see you posting on here. Wondered what was taking you so long to become a Pitracer member :)

K01 I would say AHRMA pretty much set,but you never know. NQ1965 Thr special thing about Mid-Ohio to me is it was the first pro race that I went to,seeing real works for the first time!Decoster,Hannah,Smith,Glover,Barnett and the list goes on!Seeing Tod Perkins from Zanesville pass Harry Everts in the 125 GP for about 7th place,Everts won the World Championship that year.Also didnt Denny Schwartz win a moto in the Trans-AM Series?Anybody remember Hannah holeshot the GP from the second row,only have it red flagged because somebody else jumped the gate ? Who else was there in the mud to see O'mara win the GP?If someone could get it arranged to have a race,do you think the AMA work with anybody on this?Yesterday my blood pressure was just a little high if you know what I mean!

Sadly I think the time for the original Mid Ohio has passed. I know others in the Industry that have looked into it and there really isn't any way there could be an event there now.

I am lucky to say that I have raced there and can always have that in my memory.

Not to change the subject, but now that we have you on here mxkid I have helmet cam video clips from Action Sports AHRMA race last June. I've got you in two of the 3 motos I got recorded coming off the starts. Pretty aggressive on that Maico.

You never wasted any time getting to the front of the pack, and once we hit the woods turn, I never saw you again. Man what a blast of a time to remember!

If Beenridin (Mike also), sees this, I've got the part where you were banged from the side, but you hardly missed a beat. If I get time this weekend I'll see if I can get uploaded.

Pit I don't suppose you have any original Mid-Ohio pic's from when you were there?

Anything particularly special or unique about the original Mid-Ohio track, besides being a Trans-AMA race?

If the idea were to run this the same weekend as AMA-VMD do you think many would choose the old Mid-Ohio track race over AMA's event?

By the way, glad to see you posting on here. Wondered what was taking you so long to become a Pitracer member :)

I only got to ride the real Lexington MX track later in the 80's. The track itself wasn't very impressive. Yes, the track's history made that place special. The current Mid-Ohio could have an impressive MX track if it was laid out on the infield of the road course. There is some decent moto terrain there, unlike the current parking lot course.

mxkid must be an old kid with some of stuff he is recalling...

Did any of you go over and ride the KTM Demos at last years VMD? They had a pretty cool course laid out in the infield of the road course!

Back