Federal Spending Cuts-Sequestration.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Well it's time for this debate.

Kind of curious what the die-hard democrat voters on here think on this issue, as well as the up coming March 27 government continuing resolution deadline (due to lack of a budget)?

I just don't think this chaos bodes well for Obama on Presidential leadership. (one crisis deadline to the next).

And please remember, this sequestration spending cut bill was introduced by the Obama administration. It was their idea and he signed it.

Came accross this cleaning out my emails inbox from some time ago.
=====================================

PAUL RYAN'S PROPOSED BUDGET CUTS
A List of Republican Budget CutsNotice S.S. and the military are NOT on this list.
These are all the programs that the new Republican House has proposed cutting.Read to the end.

* Corporation for Public Broadcasting Subsidy -- $445 million annual savings.
* Save America 's Treasures Program -- $25 million annual savings.
* International Fund for Ireland -- $17 million annual savings.
* Legal Services Corporation -- $420 million annual savings.
* National Endowment for the Arts -- $167.5 million annual savings.
* National Endowment for the Humanities -- $167.5 million annual savings.
* Hope VI Program -- $250 million annual savings.
* Amtrak Subsidies -- $1.565 billion annual savings.
* Eliminate duplicating education programs -- H.R. 2274 (in last Congress), authored by Rep. McKeon, eliminates 68 at a savings of $1.3 billion annually.
* U.S. Trade Development Agency -- $55 million annual savings.
* Woodrow Wilson Center Subsidy -- $20 million annual savings.
* Cut in half funding for congressional printing and binding -- $47 million annual savings.
* John C. Stennis Center Subsidy -- $430,000 annual savings.
* Community Development Fund -- $4.5 billion annual savings.
* Heritage Area Grants and Statutory Aid -- $24 million annual savings.
* Cut Federal Travel Budget in Half -- $7.5 billion annual savings
* Trim Federal Vehicle Budget by 20% -- $600 million annual savings.
* Essential Air Service -- $150 million annual savings.
* Technology Innovation Program -- $70 million annual savings.
* Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program -- $125 million annual savings..
* Department of Energy Grants to States for Weatherization -- $530 million annual savings.
* Beach Replenishment -- $95 million annual savings.
* New Starts Transit -- $2 billion annual savings.
Exchange Programs for Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and Their Historical Trading Partners in Massachusetts -- $9 million annual savings
* Intercity and High Speed Rail Grants -- $2.5 billion annual savings.
* Title X Family Planning -- $318 million annual savings.
* Appalachian Regional Commission -- $76 million annual savings.
* Economic Development Administration -- $293 million annual savings.
* Programs under the National and Community Services Act -- $1.15 billion annual savings.
* Applied Research at Department of Energy -- $1.27 billion annual savings.
* Freedom CAR and Fuel Partnership -- $200 million annual savings..
* Energy Star Program -- $52 million annual savings.
* Economic Assistance to Egypt -- $250 million annually.
* U.S.Agency for International Development -- $1.39 billion annual savings.
* General Assistance to District of Columbia -- $210 million annual savings.
* Subsidy for Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority -- $150 million annual savings.
* Presidential Campaign Fund -- $775 million savings over ten years.
* No funding for federal office space acquisition -- $864 million annual savings.
* End prohibitions on competitive sourcing of government services.
* Repeal the Davis-Bacon Act -- More than $1 billion annually.
* IRS Direct Deposit: Require the IRS to deposit fees for some services it offers (such as processing payment plans for taxpayers) to the Treasury, instead of allowing it to remain as part of its budget -- $1.8 billion savings over ten years.
* Require collection of unpaid taxes by federal employees -- $1 billion total savings.WHAT???
* Prohibit taxpayer funded union activities by federal employees -- $1.2 billion savings over ten years.
* Sell excess federal properties the government does not make use of -- $15 billion total savings.
* Eliminate death gratuity for Members of Congress.WHAT???
* Eliminate Mohair Subsidies -- $1 million annual savings.
* Eliminate taxpayer subsidies to the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change -- $12.5 million annualsavings WELL ISN'T THAT SPECIAL
* Eliminate Market Access Program -- $200 million annual savings.
* USDA Sugar Program -- $14 million annual savings.
* Subsidy to Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) -- $93 million annual savings.
* Eliminate the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program -- $56.2 million annual savings.
* Eliminate fund for Obamacare administrative costs-- $900 million savings.
* Ready to Learn TV Program -- $27 million savings..
* HUD Ph.D. Program.
* Deficit Reduction Check-Off Act.
* TOTAL SAVINGS: $2.5 Trillion over Ten Years

My question is, what is all this doing in the budget in the first place?
Maybe this is why they are attacking Paul Ryan…

Well it's time for this debate.

Kind of curious what the die-hard democrat voters on here think on this issue, as well as the up coming March 27 government continuing resolution deadline (due to lack of a budget)?

Not being democrat, I don't know for sure what they think.

I just don't think this chaos bodes well for Obama on Presidential leadership. (one crisis deadline to the next).

Or Boehner. Or Reid. Or any other of our elected representatives in DC.

And please remember, this sequestration spending cut bill was introduced by the Obama administration. It was their idea and he signed it.

Who voted for it? Congress. Plenty of blame to go around. Kucinich voted nay! My dumbshit voted yea.

If you really think this is only BHO's fault and he can fix it by himself somehow, you are deluded.

My guess? Since it doesn't really solve the budget deficit issue it's also too
small an effect to kill the economy again. A bunch of government contractors will
be out of work. And it will cost more than just passing a rational budget.

Agreed there is plenty of blame to go around. Also agree it won't kill the economy. Gas prices will take care of that in the next few months. However a friend of mine at the airbase in Vienna is getting cut back to 4 days which equates to a 20% pay cut. Raising three kids the impact is substantial. Coming from a congress that I believe gave themselves a raise last year just does not seem right. When are we going to see these Bozo's take one for the "team" - NEVER.

Who voted for it? Congress. Plenty of blame to go around. Kucinich voted nay! My dumbshit voted yea.

If you really think this is only BHO's fault and he can fix it by himself somehow, you are deluded.

Sure the Republican controlled House approved this. Was a very necessary stipulation on raising the nations borrowing debt limit "again" (to get us over that crises). And the Super Committee that Obama team dreamed up failed to come up with any good deficit/debt reduction solutions, so the sequestration cuts were part of the deal.

It's amazing that the Obama administration is spinning this as it's all the republican House's fault. "UNLESS THAT IS.........WE GIVE HIM MORE TAX REVENUE".

Does anybody believe Obama administration or the Democratic congress would ever make any spending cuts if it weren't forced to. Just how far would all of this go?

(I hate both parties, just so you know.)

Sure the Republican controlled House approved this. Was a very necessary stipulation on raising the nations borrowing debt limit "again" (to get us over that crises).

Go read the entirety of amendment 14 to the constitution. The debt limit crisis is
a made up issue. If they passed a law saying they were going into debt (the
budget), it's covered.

And the Super Committee that Obama team dreamed up failed to come up with any good deficit/debt reduction solutions, so the sequestration cuts were part of the deal.

They came up with very good ideas that neither party, needing to raise money
to get re-elected, would agree with. And they did not come up with anything about
sequestration. Bringing Simpson-Bowles up for a vote wouldn't pass but should
have been done just to prove none of the dimbulbs have any interest in
balancing the budget.

It's amazing that the Republicans are spinning this as it's all Obama's fault. "UNLESS THAT IS.........WE PROTECT THE BUSH TAX CUTS".

Fixed.

(I hate both parties, just so you know.)

OK, just hard to tell sometimes. Me too I suppose.

You touched on another very interesting key note withe the Simpson Bowles commision.

They gave out very sound economic proposals and report, and even though their plan didn't make it to Congress it's stunning that Obama wouldn't find some way to capitalize on the information.

I have heard them two on news programs absolutely bashing Obama for ignoring sound advice to get this country turned back in the right direction for a sound economic future. Especially when Obama basically appointed the Simpson Bowles commission to begin with, and now he's ignoring the recommendations.

Just saw this in the news today.
I honestly believe the general public is incredibly uninformed of how the Obama administration really operates and what their agenda is. And when he gives his public speech's, people are mesmerized and take it all in at face value.

His progressive flip flop on the gay marriage laws is a give away that he's just another politician that will lie and say anything to get a vote and to get their agenda through. Regardless of your own personal opinion on the matter, Obama says his believes and views on Gay marriage are evolving and he has changed his mind. LIE ALERT ******** "BULLPUCKY" LIE, LIE LIE !!!

You touched on another very interesting key note withe the Simpson Bowles commision.

They gave out very sound economic proposals and report, and even though their plan didn't make it to Congress it's stunning that Obama wouldn't find some way to capitalize on the information.

I have heard them two on news programs absolutely bashing Obama for ignoring sound advice to get this country turned back in the right direction for a sound economic future. Especially when Obama basically appointed the Simpson Bowles commission to begin with, and now he's ignoring the recommendations.

Yeabut. Congress didn't even consider it. Do you really believe that anybody
except Boehner and Reid control what comes to the floor? The whole congress is
JUST as stupid and complicit.

I don't mind anybody bashing BHO, he's an idiot. But placing the blame on him only,
hoping that will somehow pressure him into 'doing the right thing', or whatever reason
you might do that, is crazy. They are ALL to blame.

I started to type:
[I've sent letters to BHO, the old congresscritter, the new congresscritter, both senators,
and gotten responses from all along the lines of 'we ain't doing that'. If you did the same,
and ano]

and realized that nobody is going to do that and unless I send (and you send) a pile of
unmarked bills, that won't do s**t. I have the replies to prove it.

If you have an idea that will actually work, even with low probablility, let us know.

The sequestration is a 1% reduction in proposed increases. There are no cuts. Obama proposed the sequestration, and congress supported it as a "compromise". While these "cuts" must be made, the president has the authority to determine where the cuts are made, whther it be Medicaid or Obamaphones, Solyndra or the Pentagon, etc. Seems the president has learned well from our school systems and how they handle a failed levy. Cuts are not prioritized based on necessity, but rather what will cause the most hardship to voters. As long as he believes he can wreak havoc and blame it on the House, he has no reason to make SENSIBLE cuts, lest it be demonstarted that the government can function just fine with less of an increase.

He can wreak havoc with today's lapdog media. If journalism wasn't all but dead and some real reporters were working, none of this would be happening.

I sent this Simpson-Bowles transcript to a co-worker some time ago, a little long but good reading:
===========================

January 6, Sunday morning “Meet The Press”:
DAVID GREGORY: And good Sunday morning. A new year and a new congress. Washington is getting back to work as President Obama ended his Hawaii vacation and members of the 113th class were sworn in earlier this week alongside their families. Spirits high, but the battle lines for the tough fights ahead are already being drawn - chief among them: whether Congress will vote to raise the country's debt ceiling.
Shortly after lawmakers reached a down-to-the-wire deal on taxes to pull the country back from fiscal cliff earlier this week - the president tried to pre-empt the debt limit showdown by firing a warning shot at Republicans. He reiterated that call yesterday.
(Videotape)
PRESIDENT OBAMA: One thing I will not compromise over is whether or not Congress should pay the tab for a bill they've already racked up. If Congress refuses to give the United States the ability to pay its bills on time, the consequences for the entire global economy could be catastrophic.
DAVID GREGORY: Republicans have vowed to use upcoming votes such as the debt ceiling as a bargaining chips to get more spending cuts and reforms to entitlement programs like Medicare - some are even threatening another government shutdown.
In just a moment we'll talk to Alan Simpson and Erskine Bowles, the two chairs of the president's debt commission, about where they see the fiscal cliff deal leaving the country, if it falls short.
DAVID GREGORY:
Coming up, with all the numbers being thrown around in the last two weeks during the fiscal cliff negotiations, we thought we'd try to put things into perspective. Take a look at these figures. These are the key numbers in simple terms for the money that the U.S. takes in and spends roughly every year. You see the amount that we spend is greater than the total tax revenue that the country brings in. And that's the difference between the two or the money we'd have to find to borrow to cover our spending. And there's the total debt. $16.4 trillion for the United States government.
If we wanted to bring those numbers down to size, say for a family budget, by removing some of those daunting zeroes, here's what it would look like. The family would have an income of about $24,000, while in that same year spending more than they take in. $38,000. That would mean $14,000 or so would have to be put on a credit card that already has a balance of about $164,000.
In the past it's been politically difficult to make far reaching cuts. The debt ceiling deal back in April of 2011 cut $38.5 billion in spending. So if you scale that down to your family example we just showed you, that would be like paying down the $164,000 credit card balance by $385.
So bigger automatic cuts are expected in two months, but our next guests, Alan Simpson and Erskine Bowles, who men who were on the president's debt commission, think it won't be enough. And so Washington missed a magic moment to do something big. They're here to tell us where the fiscal cliff deal falls short.
DAVID GREGORY:
Joining me now, two of the nation's leading voices on fiscal responsibility, the co-founders of the campaign to fix the debt. Former Republican Senator Alan Simpson and former Clinton Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles. Welcome to you both. Mr. Bowles, let me start with you. You heard Leader McConnell. He said the question of revenue is now over. They've done this fiscal cliff deal and there's no more concern among Republicans about raising more revenue. How do you respond to that?
ERSKINE BOWLES:
Look, I think he's right about a lot of stuff. First of all, we've done all the easy stuff but all of the hard decisions lay ahead of us. We have got to reform the tax code to make it more globally competitive. We have got to reduce this entitlement spending, particularly as it relates to healthcare. We've got to slow the rate of growth of healthcare to the rate of growth of the economy or it will eat the rest of the budget alive.
And we've got to make Social Security sustainably solvent. If we do these things we can go a long ways to stabilizing the debt and keeping it on a downward path as a percent of GDP. But it's got to be growth, it's got to have some revenue, but the big part going forward's got to be spending cuts.
DAVID GREGORY:
All right. Well, Senator Simpson, you called this fiscal cliff deal that was just passed that doesn't deal with spending a "missed opportunity." Why?
FMR. SEN. ALAN SIMPSON:
Well, the sad part of it is the mountain roared and gave birth to a mouse. This thing isn't going to do anything really. And Erskine is so correct. Erskine and I have been working on-- and don't forget, in our commission we've got five Democrats, including Dick Durbin, five Republicans, including Tom Coburn, and one independent. How do you do any better than that?
And the president ignored it and the Congress has ignored it because they won't do the big stuff. And the big stuff has to get done. This other stuff is nothing. And as Erskine says so beautifully, we're the healthiest horse in the glue factory right now. The trajectory of debt, deficit and interest right now, the trajectory of debt, deficit and interest will match any of the PIG countries, Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Spain. Match it.
But of course we're lots bigger and, let me tell you, everybody out there in the Congress knows exactly what we have to do. And when Erskine and I traveled around for that whole year we knew they were in Congress because I could see their button. I didn't know any of them. And they said, "Save us from ourselves." How's that for courage?
DAVID GREGORY:
Well, but Mr. Bowles, you know, I asked the president this last week. I said, "You know, there's so much frustration out there. There's a pox on both houses." And he and other Democrats reject this idea that there's some sort of equivalence in intransigence in Washington. And this is how the president responded to it, laying the blame at the feet of Republicans. Let me play you this and have you respond.
(Videotape)
PRESIDENT OBAMA: The offers that I’ve made to them have been so fair that a lot of Democrats get mad at me. I mean I offered to make some significant changes to our entitlement programs in order to reduce the deficit. I offered not only a trillion dollars in -- over a trillion dollars in spending cuts over the next 10 years, but these changes would result in even more savings in the next 10 years. And would solve our deficit problem for a decade.
(End videotape)
DAVID GREGORY:
Mr. Bowles, you heard Leader McConnell and his views about the president not leading. Had Republicans conceded the point on revenue earlier, say in 2011, could we have had a broader agreement along the lines that you think is necessary?
ERSKINE BOWLES:
Oh, we definitely could have had it. I think, as you said in your opening part, this was the magic moment. This was our opportunity to do something really big to bring down this deficit and put our fiscal house in order. Yes, the president has taken some steps forward on the entitlement programs, but has he done enough? Absolutely not.
And has the speaker shown the flexibility he needs to show in order for us to broaden the base and simplify the code and reform our tax structure or to be specific about which ones of the entitlements he would actually reduce? No. What we've got to do is both of us have got to get out of our comfort zones, both sides, and we've got to come together and make the tough decisions it takes to bring down this deficit. We believe it can be done. I think the American people want it done. And now's the time to do it.
DAVID GREGORY:
Let me ask you specifically about Medicare, and I'll start with you Mr. Bowles and then get Senator Simpson's reaction. The president, again, when I asked him specifically about what he would do on Medicare, had this response. Watch.
(Videotape)
DAVID GREGORY: What is your single priority of the second term? What is the equivalent to healthcare?
PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, there are a couple of things that we need to get done. I've said that fixing our broken immigration system is a top priority. I will introduce legislation in the first year to get that done. …
The second thing that we've got to do is to stabilize the economy and make sure it's growing. Part of that is deficit reduction. Part of it is also making sure that we're investing, for example, in rebuilding our infrastructure, which is broken. …
Number three. We've got a huge opportunity around energy. We are producing more energy and America can become an energy exporter. How do we do that in a way that also deals with some of the environmental challenges that we have at the same time?
(End videotape)
DAVID GREGORY:
So to both of you, Mr. Bowles first, what would you specifically call on the president to do on Medicare that he's been unwilling to do heretofore?
ERSKINE BOWLES:
Well, first of all, David, if you look at the combination of what was done in the Budget Control Act, the cuts there, and in this cliff deal, it's about half of what we need to do in order to fix our debt problem. So we've got about $1.6 trillion worth of spending we've got to do and we've got about $600 billion worth of revenue we've got to get from broadening the base and simplifying the code and wiping out this back door spending in the tax code. What would I do on healthcare?
(OVERTALK)
DAVID GREGORY:
On Medicare?
ERSKINE BOWLES:
--going to have to reduce healthcare spending on Medicare by about $500 to $600 billion over the next 10 years. You're going to have to do it in some of the ways that Mitch McConnell talked about. You're going to have to look at some kind of cost sharing. Some kind of means testing. You're going to have to look at age. You're going to have to look at lowering the price we pay the drug companies for the drugs.
You're going to have to look at paying for quality instead of quantity. You're going to have to have some kind of tort reform. And we've got to do something about this whole end of life scenario without talking about death panels. We think these kinds of things we could bring down the cost of healthcare.
DAVID GREGORY:
Senator Simpson, tactics and strategy are part of this. To achieve goals. You heard Leader McConnell. He's not ruling out a government shut down. He wouldn't do that in the interview. He also didn't back away from a comment he made in 2011 which is using the debt ceiling, holding it ransom, even though our credit rating suffered as a result, to force spending cuts. What do you think of those strategies or those tactics?
FMR. SEN. ALAN SIMPSON:
Well, I'll tell you what I think. I've been on a lot of commissions and a lot of them worked. I was on the Iraq study group. I did other things. The issue is what happened in the past, that doesn't matter a whit. Or who said what. It's what the hell do you do now.
And right now I can't imagine a worse place for Mitch McConnell. He apparently can't deal with Reid and that's a sad thing. I know them both. But let me tell you, when I was in the U.S. Senate the work was done between Howard Baker and Robert Byrd and Bob Dole and George Mitchell and Tom Daschle.
And now, apparently, poor Mitch is caught in a situation he has to go to the vice president, who's a good egg. I've known Joe for 40 years. Think of that. You can't do the work of the Senate because the leaders won't work together. They don't like each other.
DAVID GREGORY:
So Senator--
(OVERTALK)
DAVID GREGORY:
--said.
FMR. SEN. ALAN SIMPSON:
--forget who said what.
DAVID GREGORY:
Okay. So what breaks this impasse? I mean you're looking at the next two years. The president's talking about immigration and gun control and energy and all the rest, but he's locked in trench warfare with the Republicans over the budget.
FMR. SEN. ALAN SIMPSON:
Look, that's going to happen. It is happening. But if the American people can't understand. I love it. They say, "Well, the polls showed you should tax the rich." Well, great, I'm ready for that. But they also said, 75% of them have said, "Cut spending." Now if anybody can't get that, and if you can't cut-- forget the word cut. You stabilize. You do something with healthcare.
You stabilize Social Security. For god's sake, there were 16 people paying into that and one taking out when I was a freshman at the University of Wyoming. Now there are three people paying into that baby and one taking out and the life expectancy is 78.1 instead of 60. What the hell? Who's kidding who.
DAVID GREGORY:
All right. Senator Alan Simpson and Erskine Bowles. Simpson Bowles. Thank you both very much this morning.

I sent this Simpson-Bowles transcript to a co-worker some time ago, a little long but good reading:
[much redacted for brevity]

DAVID GREGORY:
Mr. Bowles, you heard Leader McConnell and his views about the president not leading. Had Republicans conceded the point on revenue earlier, say in 2011, could we have had a broader agreement along the lines that you think is necessary?
ERSKINE BOWLES:
Oh, we definitely could have had it. I think, as you said in your opening part, this was the magic moment. This was our opportunity to do something really big to bring down this deficit and put our fiscal house in order. Yes, the president has taken some steps forward on the entitlement programs, but has he done enough? Absolutely not.

And there in a nutshell is your problem. Republicans playing to their owners and
BHO not doing much more.

Excellent transcript by the way.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by NQ1965
[much redacted for brevity]

DAVID GREGORY:
ERSKINE BOWLES:

And there in a nutshell is your problem. Republicans playing to their owners and
BHO not doing much more.

Excellent transcript by the way.

Typical spin from David Gregory.

Anyone seeing through all this "chaos"?

Yea there's definitely problems from both sides of the aisle revealed from all of this. Kind of the beauty of having a bipartisan team like Simpson-Bowles, sort of neutralizes some of the misleading rhetoric with more pointed focus on real results for a common good.

Caught the evening news tonight. Obama served up very direct and harsh blame today that none of this had to happen and this is all the republican parties fault. Then the rest of the news segment REALLY highlighted all of the cuts that will happen and who will be hurt.

I may need a different attitude and view on this but this is just how I see it.
1) ... Real leaders rarely waste time pointing fingers and demand a stage proclaim blame.
2) ... Everybody knows that there is so much other bullshit wasteful government spending going on, and even some areas where cuts can be made that have much less impact on the economy and employment. Instead this congress and presidency insist on causing a train wreck for political points.

Im. Sure it is said in every generation but in my lifetime this is the most worried I have been about the stability of our country

Im. Sure it is said in every generation but in my lifetime this is the most worried I have been about the stability of our country

Yea so lets to racing and give money to people with "single mom anything helps" signs, sittin off the interstate.

As worried as I am for my future I am twice as sad for my 11year old twins

As sad as it sounds....

I have wanted to have a kid one day for a long time. My other half has always been hesitant. Now at this point in my life seeing how eff'd up the world is that we live in, I almost fear bringing a kid into this world. With this idiot running the country for atlwast 4 more years, it could be fubar'd by the time I'd have a kid.

Back