Let the Battles begin!!! Battle of Ohio triple crown: North Round!

Great weekend...track was great. Jason and crew did a great job.

Jason, don't take this wrong as you are a dear friend and a class act, but the 5 ft. trophy and picking it by a ping pong ball is garbage. I don't see the point in a kid going 1-1 with 2 holeshots watching that go to the kid that got 4th in his class. Promotes the problem in society that all get a trophy, and in this case, the kid that straight up wins, walks with less. This just does not make sense to the kid that wins the class. It is not like the tracks have 5ft. trophy days regularly. I think, you wait until the end of the 3 race serious and give the 5 ft. trophy to the over all winner, you give them to the top 3 or so in the class, or you do not have them at all. Too hard to explain this to the kids that go 1-1 and a random ping pong ball decides it.
I know several classes that the kids that won..ended up watching the 4th or 5th over all place rider walk with it. Sorry, but these little guys, as you know, don't understand how winning the overall does not result in the top prize for the day. An adult gets it and can move past this..a 9 year old does not get past it soo easy.

I gotta say that i 100% agree with this. I NEVER earned a 5 foot trophy, but i always, always wanted one. I remembering going 2-2 at Spring Valley in the Schoolboy class on 5ft day, pretty sure it was Shane Rapose who smoked me. Would i have felt good if i got a 5 footer and he didn't? No... it would have felt like welfare if you ask me.

Yesterday was the first time Ive raced Malvern in 10 years maybe, I had a great time!

A few southern vets showed up and made for a great mix in the races for me. All 4 of my motos were bar to bar on a perfectly prepped track. Its amazing how well the track was considering the crappy forecasting we have and the crazy weather.

Pitted with John250, his Dad and boy, really nice moto family. I got to meet the infamous Fashion Bug main man Nitrofish!

Thanks to Jason and the OMA, Ive never had so much fun gettting a 4th and 5th OA finishes!

Really wanted to race this, especially now after I looked up the results and saw Ralston won +30. Many decades banging bars with that fella, good times. Hershey is entertaining in the pits and on the starting line, just never see much of him after the gate drops...

Had already made plans a while back for downhill mountain biking at seven springs to ride with a good friend who moved to Baltimore, couldn't bail.

Glad the weather turned out good for the vern

Really wanted to race this, especially now after I looked up the results and saw Ralston won +30. Many decades banging bars with that fella, good times. Hershey is entertaining in the pits and on the starting line, just never see much of him after the gate drops...

Had already made plans a while back for downhill mountain biking at seven springs to ride with a good friend who moved to Baltimore, couldn't bail.

Glad the weather turned out good for the vern

Dirt Bike party!!!

First of all let me say that I agree with Z-man 100% however there is a flip side. My daughter is an average rider. She has never ridden in the Girls only divisions because she was intimidated by the girls who are alot faster than her. As a parent I also was concerned about her being out there with the women on the big bikes. When I explained the format for the 5 ft trophy to her she said that she wanted to try and ride the girls division. As a parent I had a dilema do I tell her that she really should not use the 5 ft trophy as motivation because even if she did win the lottery and get the trophy she would not really deserve it;or just see what happens. In the end she raced and got last place each moto never had any issues with being on the track with the women on the big bikes; and had a really good time. She did not win the 5ft trophy the girl who got first place did (as she should have). Afterwards I asked her if she would race in this division again knowing that she will probably get last place even if there are no five foot tropheys; she said yes.

Yesterday was the first time Ive raced Malvern in 10 years maybe, I had a great time!

A few southern vets showed up and made for a great mix in the races for me. All 4 of my motos were bar to bar on a perfectly prepped track. Its amazing how well the track was considering the crappy forecasting we have and the crazy weather.

Pitted with John250, his Dad and boy, really nice moto family. I got to meet the infamous Fashion Bug main man Nitrofish!

Thanks to Jason and the OMA, Ive never had so much fun gettting a 4th and 5th OA finishes!

The pleasure was all yours Mr. Hershey. :) We had a great time as well. Really good racing and a good crowd. I gotta say we were on the fence of racing due to the bleak weather system we are in. The only reason we went for it was cause it's Malvern, ya know the staff will make it work and they did! I met a lot of new folks and some newbies to the racing scene, great fun. Props to the flaggers, they were on their game. Jarrett is a machine. I watched him do double gate drop magic in our race. 1st gate drop a quad throws a chain 60' out, we roll in for the 2nd gate, Jarrett runs down pushes the young man's machine off the track, runs back to the dog box, resets the gate and drops it without missing a beat! Machine. It's only Monday and I am pumped already for the next race. All this talk we throw around about motocross dying and the quad bantering goes away after a weekend like this. If motocross is hurting, I don't really care anymore because we still got each other. Man, that was kinda mushy. I gotta throw a leg over my old steed before the year is up, I get so wrapped up in the kid's racing it's hard. After meeting Hershey I know I can still do it. I heard him calling Bingo #s in between motos and seen him manhandle his little rascal around the track! :) Thanks Jason and staff, The Winlands.

The pleasure was all yours Mr. Hershey. :) We had a great time as well. Really good racing and a good crowd. I gotta say we were on the fence of racing due to the bleak weather system we are in. The only reason we went for it was cause it's Malvern, ya know the staff will make it work and they did! I met a lot of new folks and some newbies to the racing scene, great fun. Props to the flaggers, they were on their game. Jarrett is a machine. I watched him do double gate drop magic in our race. 1st gate drop a quad throws a chain 60' out, we roll in for the 2nd gate, Jarrett runs down pushes the young man's machine off the track, runs back to the dog box, resets the gate and drops it without missing a beat! Machine. It's only Monday and I am pumped already for the next race. All this talk we throw around about motocross dying and the quad bantering goes away after a weekend like this. If motocross is hurting, I don't really care anymore because we still got each other. Man, that was kinda mushy. I gotta throw a leg over my old steed before the year is up, I get so wrapped up in the kid's racing it's hard. After meeting Hershey I know I can still do it. I heard him calling Bingo #s in between motos and seen him manhandle his little rascal around the track! :) Thanks Jason and staff, The Winlands.

Just doing some rough figures here, it seems like the North definitely kicked our tail this past weekend......Roughly 27-6, with one invader taking a victory. Yikes the South is in a hole. Only one way out, we need good numbers at Chillitown!

Matt - Send me your address, I owe fast jack a tee shirt!

First off let me give props to Jason and his staff. The track was awesome on Saturday for practice, and then the rains came. Jason made the correct call, and immediately stopping practice to save the track for Sunday. I heard he was on the dozer working on the track for hours, while we were laying around a pool, and going to dinner! So the guy knew what he was doing, by trying to seal it back up.

Had some rain at the hotel, woke to wet side walks, and thought the track would be a slop fest for sure. AMAZED.......the track looked good when I got there. Practice, the track was awesome considering the weather. Jason and crew took great care of it all day, and I was impressed with it all day. Great job.

As for my racing.......man, I thought I rode good in the first moto, and got smoked! The 40+ class was all fast guys. But I am going to redeem myself at Chilitown for sure. Matthew and I both thought the track was fun, and the atmosphere of the race was great. I wish there were more than 12 in 40+, but I am sure the weather scared many off from coming. One thing I am thinking after going to Crow Canyon a few weeks ago, and now Malvern........not sure the Vet sport class is really needed. Just run 30+ and 40+.

Was great to get to meet many more Pitracer regulars. Everyone seems to be great people for sure. Makes going to the OMA races a lot of fun.

Hit the rode, and 20 minutes west of the track hit rain. So the weather gods were looking over us all day. Looking forward to Chilitown in a few weeks for sure.

John, you should of just ran the vet sport class with us. I love that class. I always have people to battle with the entire race and don't have to line up against the super fast plus 30 class and hope there is someone I can run with. It gives me a second class I can actually race with people. Another thing is of the 8 people in vet sport maybe 2 or 3 of them could of ran plus 40. I know there is a young man in there that can't run plus 30 so realistically it's only added 2 or 3 to plus 30 and 2 or 3 to plus 25.

I know the class may not make the cut for next year but I am def. going to enjoy it while I can.

I am really not a Vet Sport guy. I usually run pretty well in 40+......just did not do good yesterday! I believe the Vet Sport class is more of a C vet class for those that don't jump so much, I am just not sure it is all that different than the regular Vet class, because as you stated, some should be in the regular Vet class. It really does not matter to me what they do, keep it or not. It was double gated. Would just be nice to have those additional 12 or so whatever it was, lined up in the same moto. But some might not have even been 40.

thats what I mean about the age span in that class. all 8 of those coudn't of ran plus 40, so it may have only added 2 to the plus 40 class. I didn't have any complaints with any of the guys that ran that class. There is only 2 jumps at malvern you can't do in that class and I think pretty much everyone jumped almost everything they were allowed too.

Just doing some rough figures here, it seems like the North definitely kicked our tail this past weekend......Roughly 27-6, with one invader taking a victory. Yikes the South is in a hole. Only one way out, we need good numbers at Chillitown!

Matt - Send me your address, I owe fast jack a tee shirt!
Ouch! Darn Yankees! No need for an address we will see you Maybe Thursday or this weekend, no National for us.

Zman, I got to watch your boy today, he is a smooth little flying machine!

Thank you for the compliment. He had one of his better days having both fun, riding well, staying off the ground...and avoiding nailing the rocks that threw his chain off and shattering his crank cases a week ago. Much appreciated. He was excited to break out his new lid and helmet graphics and with the sun out and the great weekend of riding Jason provided for us, what better place to break it out.

DSC_0084.jpgDSC_0094.jpg

WOW, what a weekend. Honestly I was amazed what a huge turnout we had considering the weather. I was starting to consider renaming the race "Battle with Ohio". I had a lot of people who were shocked that we got no rain Saturday night. In fact several of them reported that it was raining Sunday morning when they left for the track. I can't help but wonder where we would have put everyone had the sky's been clear and a good forecast, can't Waite to find out next year though! On that note next year in an effort to grow this event we are going to do a Friday practice then a three moto format spread over Saturday and Sunday.

Again I want to send out a sincere thanks to all our sponsors of this event, without you it would not be the same. Kames, SRS suspension, wiesco, thermo-tec.

As far as the big trophy situation, I apologize if the way I decided to try this caused any headaches or heartaches. Obviously that was not my intension. Looking at it through a promoters eyes I try to think how can each different thing I do essentially be appealing to the largest group possible. Especially since everyone was getting a cool award and free stuff to go with it. This method seemed to fit and be something out of the box that might get people talking (guess it worked,lol) as sometimes that's half the battle. I see that this method IF used in the future will need to be thought out a little further.

Track wise this was definitely the most challenging weekend I have had thus far at Malvern but we managed to get the job done and I mean WE. I am so fortunate to have such a dedicated team who is willing to bend over backwards to make everything the best it can posibally be. I am especially proud of our flagers this weekend, with the track being soft from a week of rain it made for some very technical conditions at times and I recieved a lot of compliments from parents and spectators as to how on top things they were. We basically have the same flagging crew every race so everyone knows their job and what I expect from them before they even show up on race day. That is HUGE for the safety of everyone involved. Thanks again, Jason Rogers

Has anyone noticed the word "crew" popping up more and more with accolades to track promoters? I wanna say this began with Malvern about 3-4 years ago. I appreciate the kind words Matt, but it is simply the fact that are crew knows their job and cares and are pretty much the same folks which allow us all to keep focused more on details. The flaggers did do a great job this weekend and every other weekend and I am for sure quick to defend any employee at Malvern; we do error, I error, and we have our conflicts; but we work together and move forward. It takes all of us! Everyone that is apart of Malvern brings something special to the crew!

I can't begin to put into words how thankful I am for Jason to be at Malvern. I seen him come off the dozer Saturday after about 5 hours or so with a look that spoke a thousand words but mainly exhaustion and concern. Jason, keep it up, it matters to many of us more than you realize. I am also thankful for folks being understanding of decisions being made, it makes a huge difference. It is never the desire to short change anyone at Malvern! I love the MX Family!

Hershey is entertaining in the pits and on the starting line, just never see much of him after the gate drops...

I dont know if that is a compliment or a slam! Lol..... Im trying to get faster but I dont think I will ever battle you on the track unless you are on a pit bike and Im on my 450!

Trent is like McGuire, more natural talent in their pinky toe than our whole bodies Hersh. Something we just have to live
with and accept.

Back