double sanctioning

its not really double sanctioning. No different than when we raced AMA races, and had to buy a district 11 card.

Cancel cable tv, and don't go out to eat for 3 months and buy an ama life membership and be done with it.

Free roadside assistance in any vehicle. Free towing up to 50 miles. Four wheels or two. A nice perk.

That is correct. Both the Spring Series and The Battle for Ohio Series are AMA and OMA. We are excited about the contingency and possibilities with this series! If you need to get an AMA or renew your membership, please use the AMA link on our website, we get $ for every member that goes through our website.

FYI: There are Youth Memberships (11 and under) only $29 and even Family Memberships for up to 5 family members for $98. Family memberships must be purchased in advance from the AMA, not at the track, so plan ahead!

We went round and round on this. We applied for the contingency for Battle as it being AMA sanctioned, and never gave the Spring Series much thought in terms of it being AMA or not, but I did check the AMA box on the application. Then we landed Honda and 3 rounds with Suzuki. Then the debate began.....It can be argued back and forth both ways. I think in the end, I believe once you take out the faircross portion of our members, I think that 50-75% of our members already have AMA. So if it helps us pull in more riders from out of state and possibly from areas of Ohio with a strong background, then I say why not try it? I think within a couple years we could possibly have another Battle like series in the spring time, that involves all the tracks in the OMA. And I agree with John, this isn't so much a double sanction as it is like having a district fee with an AMA fee too, this is nothing new. Except we spend all of the OMA money on the riders at the banquet.

On another note, If I didn't see the potential here, I wouldn't have pushed to do this. I have seen more effort out of picktown in the last 18 months than most of my life. I think we do have a lobbyist at the AMA, he is one of us, he is on our side, he is fighting to get us more benefits.

This is a big picture type of decision. Time will tell if it proves to be a wise one or not. I don't fear being wrong, I fear wondering what might have happened if we had tried something different. No regrets.

BTW, I wanted to announce this after we had the rulebook wrapped up....gee thanks Gregory.

So rule book and class changes are coming?

Nothing major. The 50 classes now align with the 4 ama classes, as does the DNF, DNS rules in terms of points for the day. Few tweaks to mini quads. Added 50+ as a regular class, added 30+A for Battle. Cleared up a couple sections. Final revisions happening now. Should be done this week.

Most of the changes are to help reduce the issues at Battle and now Spring Series. Closing up some loopholes.

Reactions: TBO
Nothing major. The 50 classes now align with the 4 ama classes, as does the DNF, DNS rules in terms of points for the day. Few tweaks to mini quads. Added 50+ as a regular class, added 30+A for Battle. Cleared up a couple sections. Final revisions happening now. Should be done this week.

Most of the changes are to help reduce the issues at Battle and now Spring Series. Closing up some loopholes.
So their will be a 50+ class in the spring series JO?

How about we all start racing for $ Or some type of reimbursement? Idk about all you guys but some gas cards, food gift cards, or a % of my entry fees back would for sure be more useful to me than a plaque. Keep the hardware for schoolboy and down. Bring another new change to amateur ohio motocross!

Last edited:
Along the lines of what Schaffernocker was saying; are dealer checks a thing of the past? C-class used to be the only class giving out trophy's while A/B raced for dealer checks back in my D14 days. It was a nice little help at keeping the cost of racing and bike maintenance down.

Looking forward to getting back into the racing scene this year, it's been a long time since I've been able to have the time and $$ available.

...are dealer checks a thing of the past?

Thinking that's where the RM gift cards come into play. Sure, it would be nice to get something more locally if desired I suppose. Wonder if it could be something in terms of a choice of rewards, RM Gift Card, local Dealer Check, OMA T-shirt, Track T-shirt, etc.?? Although, that just creates more of a headache at the rewards "trailer" for the track and workers of which really no one seems to really care about. It's all about "me" right?... ;)

Getting off topic but hey, this board has been dead for a few weeks so let beat this dead horse a few more times...
I am 100% with you on the $ in place of another dust collector. We do this so we can classify ourselves to the AMA as an "amateur" but why? Other forms of motor racing race for cash. Go to your local dirt track on a Saturday night and Billy Bob grease monkey is driving his Nova around in circles and can win a few hundred bucks. Heck I have been to a few kart races where kids where winning money. Its not much but its 100% better then another plastic wall hanger.
Im not sure why the AMA would want to force this on its members and or promoters. Don't give me the excuse of amateurs don't make money. The Olympics are the ultimate in "amateur athletics and even the IOC rolled back the rules of "professionals" and it takes and act of GOD to get them to change anything.
A published (even governed) purse structure COULD easily be established. It doesn't not have to be 80% or 50%, it could be as easy as 15 riders = $50 first, $35 second
$20 Third $15 fourth and $10 for fifth.
Promoters would not have to waste $ on buying all the trophies beforehand then eat all the 6th and 7th place "awards" for a class of 5 people.

My son loves trophies but we are also teaching him the value of $. What better way then letting him keep what he wins and that's all you get. You get last, you get ZERO. Win and you can have enough to buy a new video game or another set of fricken Lego's I can step on in the middle of the night.

I have always thought this was a no brainer, but convincing the powers that be, may be difficult since it is "different" and therefore scary.

This was taken from Dirt Country site.
Rider’s Choice Program
Podium Positions will have their choice of:
Dealer Checks, D/C Gift Certificates, Trophy or Plaque;

Other positions will have their choice of:
Dearler Checks, D/C Gift Certificates or Plaques

Dealer Check/DC Gift Certificate $$ Values
1st $20, 2nd $15, 3rd $10,
4th & On $5

Back