Malvern....The Battle Draws Near

Meister

PR Founding Father
You must have seen something nobody else did because I did not see it and there were no reports of anyone in C jumping it. Usually if I happen to miss something like that, I have a line of people waiting to inform me of such. Are you sure it was a C class?

hershey

PR Elite
I was pretty sure but not 100 % but then today someone else randomly brought it up. They were talking about how stupid fast the class was and a beginner shouldnt be jumping that, he didnt know about the rule. Maybe we are both wrong because like you said Im sure people would have been lined up.

Meister

PR Founding Father
Some of the fast C riders were hitting it in their other classes, but I didn't see 1 in any actual C class moto.

jrminiquad

PR Addict
I was parked on the hill by the front gate and did not see any C class riders hit it. I was parked next to a C class rider who finished in the top three in both C classes and know he wasn't jumping it.

Abie Loebich

PR Member
Some of the fast C riders were hitting it in their other classes, but I didn't see 1 in any actual C class moto.

In the first moto there was no C riders hitting it. But the top 5 C riders were most definitely not beginners. They would have been top 10 in the B class. I was talking to a guy about this he was telling me the guy in first goes to MTF every winter! But he never races, so he thinks he is a C rider.

Vet261

PR Addict
My how times have changed. Malvern says no C riders can do that jump, and they obey and don't have a meltdown.

I remember about 15 years ago Scenic Highlands attempted to put a rule in that C classes were not allowed to jump a triple. There was a near riot at the riders meeting, and I remember some D-bag calling people on his cell phone telling them to never come there because they aren't allowed to do jumps.

Vet261

PR Addict
Oh and BTW --- I got a friend from work to bring his "real beginner" son to the race to check it out. His son is 18 and is a real, real beginner on a YZ125. He almost crapped the bed when I showed him 250C and said "that's the class you'd be racing."

I agree with Original44 -- change the local classes to B/C combined and add a D class for real beginners. About the bottom third of the C class would be in the D class and the top 2/3 would be in the combined B/C class. No actual class addition to the schedule, just shifting of classes.

Meister

PR Founding Father
Lol John, I remember those fiascos.. Mainly just the big table top thingy in like 2000.. I don't remember the d-bag who made the phone calls though.

KX514

PR Member
Oh and BTW --- I got a friend from work to bring his "real beginner" son to the race to check it out. His son is 18 and is a real, real beginner on a YZ125. He almost crapped the bed when I showed him 250C and said "that's the class you'd be racing."

Well there is all the proof anyone should need to show that we need a slight restructuring of classes. I agree 100% that our local classes should include "B/C" and "D" classes. The "C" class is not an inviting class for beginners. I've been riding my entire life (I'm 28) and I have no business being in a "C" class as far as rider skill. However, if I were to line up on a 40 man 250C gate, I guarantee that I'd do no better than 7-10th. That tells me that there are way too many fast guys in the "C" Class.

john lilly

PR Addict

I agree with Original44 -- change the local classes to B/C combined and add a D class for real beginners. About the bottom third of the C class would be in the D class and the top 2/3 would be in the combined B/C class. No actual class addition to the schedule, just shifting of classes.
I think VET261 is on to something here that, the organizations should be taking a hard look at!!!

day181

PR Elite
Staff member

111.jpg

ck1racerx

PR Addict

Agree, but keep the A,B,C and make the C 1 and 2 year riders only. This would make the "B" class the same as the "B/C" in your example. Plus make it VERY easy to enforce.

Vet261

PR Addict
But as Original44 pointed out in his post, it then ruins Loretta's for those "fast" C racers because they raced B locally. So that's why it doesn't work.
Make it B/C and D, and those super fast "C" racers are still able to do LL.

I mean, I totally agree with you, but the reality is where we are at now with LL stuff that will never work. B/C and D has a chance to work.

Only way you can get C to really be novice/beginner is for LL and other National events to change. This Original44 idea makes Local racing better for true beginners without having to change the Nation as a whole.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Sad, but you are correct. LL / Mx Sports is the only one who could fix this but they are never going to change the C ruling. Brings in too much cash.
B/C it is. I am now 100% on your side.
Now just need to convince an organization / track to try it. Excuse me if I don't hold my breath waiting on that.

hershey

PR Elite

I was talking to them yesterday, I think he will never race after watching that! Lol.

I know if I raced it I would be lucky to hit mid pack and I consider myself a B rider, maybe Im just slow. But I know if I were a beginner and saw that I wouldnt race, way too scary.

grantsdad25

PR Member
But as Original44 pointed out in his post, it then ruins Loretta's for those "fast" C racers because they raced B locally. So that's why it doesn't work.

I mean, I totally agree with you, but the reality is where we are at now with LL stuff that will never work. B/C and D has a chance to work.

Only way you can get C to really be novice/beginner is for LL and other National events to change. This Original44 idea makes Local racing better for true beginners without having to change the Nation as a whole.

100% agree. Unless the national level/MX Sports changes their rules there will be a conflict at a local level and this provides a compromise. And given the $$ spent at the national/LL level I don't see them changing.

Several of the kids up front at the battle race were at LL this year, including us, and though they are very good riders none of them broke the top 20 at LL.

Vet261

PR Addict
Now that I'm thinking about this even more (after Original44 was shouting it at me at Malvern scaring me) we can even go a little further with it.

Do we really need two D - beginner classes? Probably not, real beginners wouldn't matter the size of the bike, and any that progress quickly would move to B/C class.

So, you could actually CUT out a class by doing this and go from 4 classes to 3. Probably the same number of race entries for the track to earn money, possibly even more by bringing out more beginner racers.

250 B/C
Open B/C
125-Open D Beginner

hershey

PR Elite
100% agree. Unless the national level/MX Sports changes their rules there will be a conflict at a local level and this provides a compromise. And given the $$ spent at the national/LL level I don't see them changing.

Several of the kids up front at the battle race were at LL this year, including us, and though they are very good riders none of them broke the top 20 at LL.

Wow....

Zman

PR Addict

Kind of silly though .. As many of the young fast kids that have gone to Lorettas in the 50/65/85 classes, like Mitchy and Maley and Talboo and Johnson and Towers to name a few locals.. Are not permitted to run a C class at Lorettas ever anyway.. Have to run a B/C class any way. So how many are actually gonna get hurt at the National level by making a B/C class locally.. We have to run that anyway!

Last edited: