AHRMA Regional 2016 Schedule

How was the weekend, guys? Really bummed I couldn't make it. How was the turnout?

Kevin

Turnout was light - I would put it around 50 Saturday and 60 Sunday. Weekend was good and Saturday looked to go pretty smooth and always cool to watch modern at night. There was however a bit of tension when practice started on Sunday. They had the entire modern track included with all of the jumps with the exception of 1. I would put it around 10-12 total with most being doubles or close to it. There were many not happy with it and I think there was a bit of "alright you go it" They took us on a parade lap where we were routed around 8 of them. Not much jumping after that! There was a crazy long sand section, actually lengthened it over past years-went down in it and the gas valve shut off! That was a first and of course I didn't figure it out for a few turns.

Anyone else want to admit what the crazy fast gal from Germany on a CZ(V) and Maico(PV) did to everyone? Holy crap.

I had fun as always and the weather was off the hook. I do wish more showed up and have to think we need that bad to keep being able to do this.

Last edited:
Regarding the last minute track changes to remove a majority of the jumps after the first practice was a disappointment for me. To each his own, but in my opinion it turned a fun track into a track that had waaaay too LONG of a straights that were way too high speed with no jumps to slow things down.

The young lady on the Maico 490 who rode the PV intermediate classes was mixed in with a few fast classes during the day and I'd say she was the fastest rider there on Sunday. A few motos she'd get a less than great start but by the end of the moto she'd have a half a lap lead on some pretty fast guys. Seems she'd do well in any AHRMA expert class. I'll admit that I was one of the guys she passed...and she was gone after that!

I thought the track, the weather and the racing Saturday was spectacular.

The three different Sunday tracks that evolved into the race track was a complete F*$uk up by the Promoter Barry Mayo. He was very unprofessional and became an AHOLE as various AHRMA officials tried to explain that his night track/Supercross track was not vintage friendly. Took an 90 min of various tracks and siting laps to create a track, ultimately the track was something we could ride, but pleased nobody. Weather was warm and sunny and the beer was cold so in the end a good day.

Turnout was ok, not great Saturday 59 and Sunday 68, total entries for the weekend 127 plus night racing 30 +/- each night.

The young lady was Birgit Schelkle, smoked each and every other rider on the track. Nobody finished within a half lap of her, the real deal.

https://www.facebook.com/birgit.lemp.5?fref=ts

Ok yes I know I'm on disabled list! Crashed on a crappy parking lot track! No excuses nobody's fault but my own! Ok on Delta track, the way track was laid out to start with,was the way we ran track 2 years ago other than they took out double left of starting area, I don't recall any complaining of track? (That I Heard anyway) Last year they didn't run a straight with 3 doubles before you went to back sand section.I don't remember any injuries for the most part the last 2 years??? On to this year, yes people were upset I guess, Dave asked me what to do? It's something we've run in past,so if you have been there before,I would think you would know what to expect? As far as Ahrma officials Corky doesn't want any double jumps! Ohio guys here is what we now have,probably no Nationals in Ohio?? I here rumored Red Bud replacing Delta next year? If you had problems with Delta do you actually think you can navigate Red Bud??

If you had problems with Delta do you actually think you can navigate Red Bud??

Some really good points Mike. I raced Delta last year and loved the track layout. On any track, I roll the jumps that are too big for me and jump the smaller doubles I can (which is always a huge race highlight). Everyone that has passed me, knows how new Motocross is for me. If I can race it, anyone can race it.

With few exceptions, it is ME and not the track layout that decides how safe my race will be. I make mistakes and I get hurt.

I don't think the track is too hard complainers are on PitRacer, but damn guys do we have to beat the fun out of everything? I'm spending good money to heal up and want some future race opportunities.

The three different Sunday tracks that evolved into the race track was a complete F*$uk up by the Promoter Barry Mayo. He was very unprofessional and became an AHOLE as various AHRMA officials tried to explain that his night track/Supercross track was not vintage friendly. Took an 90 min of various tracks and siting laps to create a track, ultimately the track was something we could ride, but pleased nobody. Weather was warm and sunny and the beer was cold so in the end a good day.

Turnout was ok, not great Saturday 59 and Sunday 68, total entries for the weekend 127 plus night racing 30 +/- each night.

The young lady was Birgit Schelkle, smoked each and every other rider on the track. Nobody finished within a half lap of her, the real deal.

Mike, I'm really surprised you have such strong words towards the track and also a promoter who sponsored an AHRMA event. As mentioned, I liked the original track MUCH better than the revised track which had very few jumps and instead had high speed straights that I wasn't crazy about (it's mx not roadracing/flat track). In my opinion, if I'm able to have a good time on a track with a few jumps on a PV bike then I really don't think it's fair to call out the Delta track as being dangerous or the promoter as being an A-hole. How can you consider Barry Mayo to be an A-hole when he took the time and effort to change up the track for the folks who didn't like the jumps?

Ok yes I know I'm on disabled list! Crashed on a crappy parking lot track! No excuses nobody's fault but my own! Ok on Delta track, the way track was laid out to start with,was the way we ran track 2 years ago other than they took out double left of starting area, I don't recall any complaining of track? (That I Heard anyway) Last year they didn't run a straight with 3 doubles before you went to back sand section.I don't remember any injuries for the most part the last 2 years??? On to this year, yes people were upset I guess, Dave asked me what to do? It's something we've run in past,so if you have been there before,I would think you would know what to expect? As far as Ahrma officials Corky doesn't want any double jumps! Ohio guys here is what we now have,probably no Nationals in Ohio?? I here rumored Red Bud replacing Delta next year? If you had problems with Delta do you actually think you can navigate Red Bud??

There is no way that AHRMA will have a race at Red Bud unless you can guarantee 200 riders. The promoters won't hold a race for 60 or 70 entries. Maybe in conjunction with a vet race? If they try to start an Event like the Unadilla Rewind, I'm guessing they could make it work. Most of the jumps at Red Bud are so big that they are singles for vintage bikes.

Mike, I'm really surprised you have such strong words towards the track and also a promoter who sponsored an AHRMA event. As mentioned, I liked the original track MUCH better than the revised track which had very few jumps and instead had high speed straights that I wasn't crazy about (it's mx not roadracing/flat track). In my opinion, if I'm able to have a good time on a track with a few jumps on a PV bike then I really don't think it's fair to call out the Delta track as being dangerous or the promoter as being an A-hole. How can you consider Barry Mayo to be an A-hole when he took the time and effort to change up the track for the folks who didn't like the jumps?

You will have to look an long ways in Michigan to find racers that like Barry Mayo.

You will have to look an long ways in Michigan to find racers that like Barry Mayo.

I was referring specifically to this last weekend's AHRMA event where Barry took a good bit of time to try to make some AHRMA riders happy by changing the layout several times. That being the case, seems a bit harsh for him to be called out as an A-hole. Talked to Barry several times over the weekend and he was quite friendly.

Also, I raced MRA back in the mid-eighties when Barry put that organization together and wasn't aware of anyone having an issue with him back then. These days, I still know quite a few folks up in Toledo who don't have anything against him BUT there are a number of guys that don't agree with his style of track prep which involves grading the dirt rather than discing it up. But he still seems to get a pretty decent turnout for his Saturday night races.

racer726, I'm curious, do you do any AHRMA events? I ask because I see how it would be a challenge for promoters to hold AHRMA events. 1st off, most of them can count on attendance being minimal and 2nd they're dealing with a broad range of ages where some of the older guys want a smoother track and some riders who are still under 60 want a few semi-challenging jumps on the track. It turns into a no-win situation.

I was referring specifically to this last weekend's AHRMA event where Barry took a good bit of time to try to make some AHRMA riders happy by changing the layout several times. That being the case, seems a bit harsh for him to be called out as an A-hole. Talked to Barry several times over the weekend and he was quite friendly.

Also, I raced MRA back in the mid-eighties when Barry put that organization together and wasn't aware of anyone having an issue with him back then. These days, I still know quite a few folks up in Toledo who don't have anything against him BUT there are a number of guys that don't agree with his style of track prep which involves grading the dirt rather than discing it up. But he still seems to get a pretty decent turnout for his Saturday night races.

racer726, I'm curious, do you do any AHRMA events? I ask because I see how it would be a challenge for promoters to hold AHRMA events. 1st off, most of them can count on attendance being minimal and 2nd they're dealing with a broad range of ages where some of the older guys want a smoother track and some riders who are still under 60 want a few semi-challenging jumps on the track. It turns into a no-win situation.

I raced the AHRMA nationals in 2008 and 2010. Vintage and post vintage. I got tired of riding with 3 guys in a class. I won a few championships and called it good. I race our local Michigan vintage series now. No bike size splits or ability splits for classes. We usually have 6 to 12 guys in each of our four classes depending on the date. We race the same day as the modern bikes on the same track. I don't get going around the doubles. If you don't want to jump them, roll them. Routing a track around the jumps really kills the flow of most tracks. We used to have 2 AHRMA nats in Michigan but now we have 0. None of the Michigan guys that race our series do AHRMA that I am aware of.

I thought the Delta race was awesome last year they only routed around one or two jumps it was pretty much the whole night track ! They were nice safe jumps in the big ones I was doing and I'm not a big jumpWe!

I thought the Delta race was awesome last year they only routed around one or two jumps it was pretty much the whole night track ! They were nice safe jumps in the big ones I was doing and I'm not a big jumpWe!

With Barry dealing with complaints about the track and working double time to keep some folks happy...I'd be surprised if the Delta AHRMA race is still around to go to next year. Why should the guy bother with it...hard to believe he made any money for his time and effort and then has to deal with way too much AHRMA drama.

With Barry dealing with complaints about the track and working double time to keep some folks happy...I'd be surprised if the Delta AHRMA race is still around to go to next year. Why should the guy bother with it...hard to believe he made any money for his time and effort and then has to deal with way too much AHRMA drama.
This was going to be last race there before the drama. Rumor is Red Bud next year? Don't know how that will go? IMO not a good area for ahrma, Michigan riders don't seem to go to ahrma races. D14 has decent amount of vintage at times I think, but when AMA had tour race a Log Road couple years ago on Memorial Day weekend D14 riders showed up on Monday after tour race? It would be nice for somebody have a race with different organizations,ahrma,Midwest,Missouri Vmx ect to see how everybody stacks up!

I've been to Baja it's a nice track . On the vintage circuit Redbud will be really nice !
I'm used to riding Ohio Clay . Redbud sand is just fine for me !!

This attitude is why my RM's will only be at Mid-Ohio and select Vet races.

Back