AHRMA Regional 2016 Schedule

Kind of a side story here but a Vet class motocross story that I'm enjoying rambling on about to anybody that will listen.

I brought my 98 CR250 for the Decade Class and raced it this last weekend. We were grouped with other class's so we had a variety on the gate. I was a little giddy getting to line up with MW850 again, as I know... This guys a racer!

I was naïvely hoping that my aluminum framed, power valved, monoshocked, inverted forked, water cooled Honda CR would be enough advantage to compensate for my racing experience and skills against him and his mighty Maico 490. The short of the story is that he schooled my immediately from the moment the gate hit the dirt.

That Maico came off the line in a fury, and I found myself racing harder to the first turn than ever before to keep him within distance. After we rounded the corner, he was off and charging and left everybody chasing him. All that was to be seen was a 40ft long roost with him up on the pegs the whole way. I lost ground and distance to him on every lap. (we all did).

Nope, my bike advantage made no difference. It was all rider!
Vintage Vet Class racing at it's finest!
NQ thanks for compliment! I work at it! When I'm done not going to say IF I would have did this or that I might of had better results. I know this is my last go round, giving it everything I can!!

NQ thanks for compliment! I work at it! When I'm done not going to say IF I would have did this or that I might of had better results. I know this is my last go round, giving it everything I can!!

It's like you were really racing or something. :cool:

I accomplished my goal of maximum track time on Saturday. See that big fast red 850 coming and going just fast enough not to get lapped equals maximum track time! :)

The only trouble was that the shiny back tank corners of my vintage 360 got me.:eek:
2016-06-28 21.32.11.jpg

I wasn't comfortable on those track surfaces Saturday, didn't want to auger myself into the hard ground and must of had a leg death grip on the tank. My knees don't get a grip on that tapered tank so my leg adductor muscles pinch into those back corners. I was feeling fine and had things loaded, ready for PV Sunday when those muscles suddenly seized up late Saturday evening. I went outside into the heat to walk and stretch but I was still too sore early Sunday to even think about riding.:(

Thanks again Mike for the ride offer. A track with a nice loamy surface would make that ride ideal!;)

The revised schedule is all set for 1 day (Saturday) vintage and post vintage events at RT 62, Dirt Country, and Meadowlarks. And 2 day national events at 800 MX in Kentucky and Delta on Labor Day weekend.

Lots of opportunities to ride close to home, we all need to support AHRMA's efforts to provide us with a regional series.

Still a chance to win your class and be a champion. Just need 4 events to qualify for year end awards.

Yep, agreed Mike. We need to support the races close if we can. I'm looking forward to putting faces to PitRacer names at RT62.

Ok, I think I'm going to be able to get everyone together for Delta on Labor Day. Camping? Weekend Ahrma membership availability? Vintage friendly track? Any other feedback on this event? I'm hoping to get a couple more in this year provided everyone's in town and not traveling for work.

Kevin

Camping is free, gates open Friday evening, Weekend AHRMA member ship is available, however if you plan to do the events at Meadowlarks, or Dirt Country get an annual membership that will take you to Labor day next year. Fun track, the Saturday night races under the lights are fun to watch ( or participate in) track last year was fun, long, with a sand section.

Ok, I think I'm going to be able to get everyone together for Delta on Labor Day. Camping? Weekend Ahrma membership availability? Vintage friendly track? Any other feedback on this event? I'm hoping to get a couple more in this year provided everyone's in town and not traveling for work.

Kevin

Thanks, Mike.
So they race the vintage bikes under the lights? I guess I'm assuming that they run vintage on Saturday and PV on Sunday with Saturday daytime practice? Is there a schedule of events posted somewhere? This sounds like a real good time.

Kevin

Thanks, Mike.
So they race the vintage bikes under the lights? I guess I'm assuming that they run vintage on Saturday and PV on Sunday with Saturday daytime practice? Is there a schedule of events posted somewhere? This sounds like a real good time.

Kevin

Kevin,

Last year the night program was not vintage and post vintage. It was modern classes.

Really nice track with sand, elevation changes, and safe enough jumps to make it fun.

Dan

Last year the night program was not vintage and post vintage. It was modern classes.

I thought maybe they did have a couple bikes do it? The beers might have me remembering wrong though! They did the year before but not many riders did it.

Kevin- not sure what your running, V or PV, but they do a great job making the track like it was for an Inter-AM(I think) race back there in 73 or 74. Long, sand, uphills, downhills, and they mix in the normal track for most of it so there are some fun, safe jumps you can do or not do. I think the track is over 1.5 miles. Up there on my list of weekends as far as fun factor. Bikes basically running most of the time you are awake and cool to see modern at night.

Bill, I think you're right. I looked at Delta's website and for Saturday it says Ahrma Vintage during the day and their regular Modern race at night with vintage "support" classes. It sounds like it has the high potential to be a blast.

Right now I'm planning on just taking the vintage MX360. Take the motorhome up Friday night, race Saturday, stay for the races Saturday night and enjoy an adult beverage or two, pull out earlyish Sunday morning having had a thoroughly good time. That's the plan.

Kevin

I'm planning on taking my modern bike along to do the Saturday night races and then ride my 84 RM250 in Sunday's PV races.

At one point back in the day, I used to go to all of Delta's races but then due to moving out of state for awhile haven't been there since about 1987. When it was district 12, they used to give out some some really nice embroidered jackets for winning classes for the season back in the 80s, still have a jacket from winning the B class for the year in 1985...was riding an RM250 then too :) Looking forward to a trip down memory lane!

enjoy an adult beverage or two

I will look forward to joining you. Any chance you have a TV with an HDMI jack in the motorhome or that can run on a generator outside? The Buckeyes are playing BGSU, should be a blowout but it's the first game, at noon but I have plans on watching it while barbecuing between vintage and modern that night. I am hoping to avoid hearing what happened and play it on the slingbox through my computer as live. Perhaps you aren't a football or OSU fan but we did that 2 years ago at night and had a ball. No problem if not and I will look forward to meeting you either way.

Not much of a football fan anymore and no TV currently in the motorhome. I may have one I could bring, though, I'll have to check on it and let you know. Sounds like fun to me, anyway, I'm looking forward to it, as well.

No worries at all if you don't! Don't spend a bunch of time on it. I'll find one somewhere or just watch it on my laptop.

We're out. Just can't work out the schedules. Going to try for the regional on the 17th.

Kevin

Just found out that someone in Toledo that I was planning on staying with won't be around this weekend. Having second thoughts on making the drive up there Saturday night for Sunday's race as I would have my bikes in the back of the pickup...paranoid about having them stolen if I stay at a motel somewhere Saturday night. Another option of course is to get up ultra-early Sunday morning to get there in time for sign up...hmmm.

Just found out that someone in Toledo that I was planning on staying with won't be around this weekend. Having second thoughts on making the drive up there Saturday night for Sunday's race as I would have my bikes in the back of the pickup...paranoid about having them stolen if I stay at a motel somewhere Saturday night. Another option of course is to get up ultra-early Sunday morning to get there in time for sign up...hmmm.
If you come up Saturday bring your bikes to the track I am camping and have a big trailer and big locks.

Last edited:
Mike, I shot you a pm. I may take you up on storing my bikes Saturday night so that I can run their normal Sat night races and then do Post Vintage on Sunday.

Back