AHRMA Regional 2016 Schedule

HELP NEEDED

A couple of weeks ago Dave Woolever had his two mx bikes stolen, apparently they A @*holes broke the lock on his garage and left with his RM125 and PE175.

He doesn't have a bike to ride this weekend at RT 62, he has done a lot to help us have local racing, we need to help him.

I have offered him either my RM 125 & RM250, if he wants. If you have a bike that he could use please send him a note, he would be most appreciative.

davewoolever2@yahoo.com

HELP NEEDED

A couple of weeks ago Dave Woolever had his two mx bikes stolen, apparently they A @*holes broke the lock on his garage and left with his RM125 and PE175.

He doesn't have a bike to ride this weekend at RT 62, he has done a lot to help us have local racing, we need to help him.

I have offered him either my RM 125 & RM250, if he wants. If you have a bike that he could use please send him a note, he would be most appreciative.

davewoolever2@yahoo.com

Bummer! I will email him.

Just posted in race update forum about our races this weekend Any questions or thoughts call or txt 740-404-9240

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Thanks goes out to Dave Woolever/Mike Bickley and the entire Route 62 crew for a great event

Lonnie did a great job on the track and keeping the program running smoothly in Sunday when it was hot as hell!! Hope to return in the fall.

Lonnie did a great job on the track and keeping the program running smoothly in Sunday when it was hot as hell!! Hope to return in the fall.
We ran first set of motos in 58 minutes, a very short break and ran second motos and done by about 12:30. It was just going to be to hot to drag it out Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

So I have updated the scoring spreadsheet and emailed it to our marketing folks on the west coast who manage the AHRMA Great Lakes web page to post.

As most know by now Dave Woolever has announced that the reminder of the regional events will be held on 1 day, Saturday of the previously scheduled weekends, the exception to this are the two AHRMA Nationals that are also regionals. 800 MX Park and Delta will follow the two day format and are run by the National folks.

As I was reviewing the scoring for the first 3 events we have varied a bit on class structures, this caused some confusion and may have limited participation. So I think it would be helpful to create a standard regional structure.

These are only my suggestions, and give me feedback so we can make this work, it will make everybodys race day simpler.

Signup 7:00 - 8:30am
Riders meeting 8:30
Practice 8:45 2 sessions Big Bikes / small bikes & novices ( can be modified slightly on turnout)
National Anthem 9:30
1st Moto 9:45
AHRMA Vintage classes
AHRMA Post Vintage Classes
Modern & support classes

short intermission -track prep

repeat first race order

Drink Beer / Go Home

We should also make the DECADE & Pre Modern class a regular part of our schedule, what is pre modern? if decade is 10 years or 2006, then what year is pre-modern? We also had a 16 - 19 year old class at Delta, should be have this> is it schoolboy???

Give me some suggestions,

Last edited:
Mike I believe pre-modern class bikes are front disc brakes with rear drum brakes 1984-86 CR's, 1985-87 RM125's, 1985-86. RM250's, 1985-87 YZ's, 1982-1985 KX's, ect . .

Mike I believe pre-modern class bikes are front disc brakes with rear drum brakes 1984-86 CR's, 1985-87 RM125's, 1985-86. RM250's, 1985-87 YZ's, 1982-1985 KX's, ect . .
Ok, that is good but a bit narrow, PV ends at 84, so if we said pre-modern was up to 1990 would that attract a bigger group, might be 2 disks but not much more???? only asking. And then decade class to 2006?

I have very little newer bike knowledge.

Last edited:
Scott - not sure the national class is wide enough for regional because nobody blows the kind of dough we do on PV bikes for those it seems.. I think it needs to include as much as possible and with the rumor mill about AHRMA and the future what about disc okay on either wheel PV to 89 and 90 to 99 as 2 groups? A lot happened around 98 - 4 stroke, aluminum frames, etc but in the initial years I don't know that it was a good thing. I do like including modern and I don't think mentioning it is a great place to give racing a try or get back in the saddle if you haven't done it in 15 years, no matter what your age, is a bad call either. Probably a lot of people out there with a bike that would not dream of lining up at some of the big events and like me just don't want to get landed on...

Our local vintage series has a 1989 and older class called Innovation and a 1999 and older class called Transition. They both work quite well. I would try those and then maybe a Modern class for everything up through 2016.

Scott - not sure the national class is wide enough for regional because nobody blows the kind of dough we do on PV bikes for those it seems.. I think it needs to include as much as possible and with the rumor mill about AHRMA and the future what about disc okay on either wheel PV to 89 and 90 to 99 as 2 groups? A lot happened around 98 - 4 stroke, aluminum frames, etc but in the initial years I don't know that it was a good thing. I do like including modern and I don't think mentioning it is a great place to give racing a try or get back in the saddle if you haven't done it in 15 years, no matter what your age, is a bad call either. Probably a lot of people out there with a bike that would not dream of lining up at some of the big events and like me just don't want to get landed on...

I think Bill is spot on.

If we market the Racing Experience more than the bike (have a few classes that are much more inclusive and try to group riders more by speed than bike technology)
  • the 30 second board and gate drop (nothing like that feeling - NQ1965 calls it a racer high that lasts for days and is right)
  • race for fun but you are still racing (the racing is what differentiates this from just riding on practice days)
  • race what you have (it will likely be a older bike anyway - probably one in the shed or garage from the era the racer stopped racing)
  • get back to a track (you forgot how damn cool it is)
  • more relaxed and less uptight (riding a dirt bike is fun and we are all way past it being serious or a future glory filled profession)
  • supportive and friendly (I argue enough at work - this is supposed to be my escape from reality)
  • bring you son or daughter (same racing experience philosophy and not 8 different classes for under 10)
  • more affordable
  • safer less injury risk
  • tamer track jumps
  • not getting landed on
  • judgement free and less intimidating (with my speed if I am not laughed off the track - I promise nobody else will be)
Let the ARHMA National Series target the Vintage and Post Vintage Purists (not meant to be critical) and then the Regional grows as a way back to racing and a stepping up point to AHRMA National races.

There are some pretty good posts on PitRacer about how to attract new riders (young and old and where the bigger gates can come from).

Kind of a side story here but a Vet class motocross story that I'm enjoying rambling on about to anybody that will listen.

I brought my 98 CR250 for the Decade Class and raced it this last weekend. We were grouped with other class's so we had a variety on the gate. I was a little giddy getting to line up with MW850 again, as I know... This guys a racer!

I was naïvely hoping that my aluminum framed, power valved, monoshocked, inverted forked, water cooled Honda CR would be enough advantage to compensate for my racing experience and skills against him and his mighty Maico 490. The short of the story is that he schooled my immediately from the moment the gate hit the dirt.

That Maico came off the line in a fury, and I found myself racing harder to the first turn than ever before to keep him within distance. After we rounded the corner, he was off and charging and left everybody chasing him. All that was to be seen was a 40ft long roost with him up on the pegs the whole way. I lost ground and distance to him on every lap. (we all did).

Nope, my bike advantage made no difference. It was all rider!
Vintage Vet Class racing at it's finest!

Our local vintage series has a 1989 and older class called Innovation and a 1999 and older class called Transition. They both work quite well. I would try those and then maybe a Modern class for everything up through 2016.
That's what we need! +a modern class

Back