Favorite local rider.....

I remember watching Troy Graham and Don Conkel battling it out at Gleneste speedway in 79-80, there would be a full gate of minis and Graham was on a kawasaki, the only green bike on the line. What ever happened to Conkel? He was a national champ on an Weaver built RM 80. Tommy Watts was one of the fastest riders in his day that I ever watched.

A few greats not mentioned: Matt Maximoff (the only factory Suzuki mini rider I ever saw, plus he used to most times destroy Sellards, Dunaway, Karnow et al., too bad he got hooked on strippers and lost his NCY ride), J.D. Collins (R.I.P. - hit a tree at Gainsville, and had the most awesome practice track I ever rode), Josh Demuth (multiple AX champ, plus a super nice guy), Mike Jones (world champ/freestyle moto Icon, and he wore that sweet ass Ferrochi gear with frogs on it), and last but not least the great bank robbing, no-footer whipping Jimmy Eickel!!!

Wow........I did not realize that JD Collins had passed away from an accident (wonder how I did not know that). At least Chuck Reed has a legal job, I think Eickel is probably in a jail cell after robbing that bank a while back.

Thanks for the props G and Jud.. Dont feel as if I were anywhere near the caliber of some of the people mentioned, but atleast I was doing something decent! lol

always enjoyed watching meister, jon16, Smokin' Joe Rice, marshall, karnow, wasnt there a troy gould?? that used to flat out haul?? or am i mistaken?? ive been away from the racing scene so long its hard to tell, basically i give anyone props that still has the drive to get through the outrageous costs and keep pushing it every weekend, miss it like crazy just isnt worth it to me anymore when my little one enjoys riding and i drive truck now.

troy was fast.. he lives up by me.. not doin much with himself. bummer cuz he had it... last time i ran into him he said he was gona get another bike but.. ill beleieve it when i see it

I'll have to say sellards for me. I remember idolizing him growing up. Micky Marshall too. A few years back I found out Mickys doin big things in bmx, which is what I'm into aswell. Google search Micky Marshall Bmx and you'll find some rad stuff if interested.

Wow........I did not realize that JD Collins had passed away from an accident (wonder how I did not know that). At least Chuck Reed has a legal job, I think Eickel is probably in a jail cell after robbing that bank a while back.

Yeah, I think that was like 95 or 96 when J.D. had his accident. It's a shame when we lose anyone from our small community, and Collins is no exception to that rule.... And I think I heard that Eickel successfully robbed two banks before getting busted, so take whatever you want from that... pretty funny though. kind of what you'd expect from a guy that had a rebel flag do-rag custom painted onto his Bell moto-4!

You are absolutely right about that Mxracer517. I wasn't there and you know how the grape vines works... plus it have been too long. I just found a couple of internet articles about it that confirm it was Ocala. Sorry for the misinformation.

Somebody mentioned Phil Gauthier......anybody ever know what happened to him? He was blazing fast......last I remember seeing him was working at All-Seasons in Wooster in the very late 80's....

And Hillis....pound for pound the fastest guy on 2 wheels with his size....amazing......

When i was 8 i think.....Charlie Dunaway? Was that his name. I always thought him sellards and Sam yanetelli were the fastest men on the planet.

Charlie and I started racing at the same time on PW50's. We are the same age and grew up really close to each other. I hung with him on 50's and 65's, but when we got on 80's he was screaming!

Charlie, Burkhart and Sellards were all really fast and smooth. Sellards had the better career, but Charlie was starting to really make a name for him self in AMA Supercross 125's when he had his accident. Such a tragedy.

Also- I remember Burkhart racing at Frankfurt Motocross Park near Chillicothe and sitting at the gate for like 7-10 seconds after it dropped. Didnt take him long to pass all of the other A riders and he would always rear wheel tap the entire whoop section at that track (which was a long, deep whoops section).

I vividly recall watching Mark Musselman in 125A circa 1992 at Dayton MC. He was on a loaner KTM125 that was old at the time and went 1-1 in 125A.

Mark Burkhart was the all-time great for me. Smooth and very, very fast.

Steele and Mussleman for me too

Charlie and I started racing at the same time on PW50's. We are the same age and grew up really close to each other. I hung with him on 50's and 65's, but when we got on 80's he was screaming!

Charlie, Burkhart and Sellards were all really fast and smooth. Sellards had the better career, but Charlie was starting to really make a name for him self in AMA Supercross 125's when he had his accident. Such a tragedy.

What happened to Charlie?

Unfortunately I recall him having a critical injury...I don't remember specifics I just remember the Heal Fast stickers with his name on them people were selling at the track years and years ago. Dude was the holeshot KING.

Unfortunately I recall him having a critical injury...I don't remember specifics I just remember the Heal Fast stickers with his name on them people were selling at the track years and years ago. Dude was the holeshot KING.

Paralyzed, in a wheelie chair now. Remarkable his dad stayed in the sport selling parts at most of the D11 events. That speaks volumes about the families love and dedication to the sport. They are good people.

Paralyzed, in a wheelie chair now. Remarkable his dad stayed in the sport selling parts at most of the D11 events. That speaks volumes about the families love and dedication to the sport. They are good people.

Yes they are....Ray and Peggie have helped many a rider at the tracks over the past 30 years.

Charlie broke his back trying to jump a triple at some crappy track many years ago.

Back