Ok... What did you do to your bike today??

dmx153

PR Founding Father
How on earth do you ever diagnose that kind of stuff??? It’s got to be a complete pain in the ass with a modern 4 stroke. Sounds like an ugly mess of hoses and wires. How many times did ya have to kick that pig? I dread the thought.
I’m super freaked about clean gas and clean cans now…

Sharcy, I had only put about 5 hours on it since picking it up at Red Bed in August when a few months ago it started acting up on a wednesday night practice at Malvern. At 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it would just cut out. Hershey was there and heard it thinking it was the fuel pump. Nick Stevens was there that evening and he gave me some pointers on what to check. I got it home and immediately went to Thumper Talk to see if anyone else had this problem. Sure enough there were several but the problems ranged from a loose spark plug, tip over sensor, bad connections, broken wires, remapping of the ECU and more! I went into panic mode diving head first into the manual which might as well be written in Chinese because I was immediately bewildered.

The first thing I did was check the spark plug. It was loose!! Whew! I put a new plug in and made sure it was snug. Took her for a spin in the yard and it still cut out. Next I took apart every connection, blew them out with air and re-connected with die-electric grease. Still cut out. I talked to pretty boy Cameron who told me he had to replace a fuel pump in his old 450 because it did the same thing mine was doing. The fuel pump is the most expesive part in the whole system, and me being a non-union employee, I didn't have $600 bucks laying around. I took the fuel pump down to Action sport cycles in Alliance and Matt blew out the regulator and gave me some other pointers. Put the pump back in, rode it around and the bog was gone! I was doing cartwheels at this point so I took it to BC with my 125 as a back up. Sure enough, once it got hot it started cutting out again. I finished the day at BC on my princess praying for a Keihin carb on my 450.

Finally I talked to Kris Michelik at Kame's and he let me borrow his 2009 450. I put his fuel tank on my bike and rode it for 15 minutes without issue. The new fuel pump should be here before the weekend.

Bill480

PR Addict
How on earth do you ever diagnose that kind of stuff??? It’s got to be a complete pain in the ass with a modern 4 stroke. Sounds like an ugly mess of hoses and wires. How many times did ya have to kick that pig? I dread the thought.
I’m super freaked about clean gas and clean cans now…

I guess I'm used to cars but I have diagnosed my fair share of fuel injected engines. Would rather deal with my FI bike than a carb'ed one any day of the week. Pain in the ass to you = simple to me. No jets, floats, diaphragms, needles, habeebs, kaniblers, kanooter valves, etc.

Anyways to get back on topic I bought a new set of bars and ODI grips from Motosport's cyber monday sale. Stuff should be here tonight! Going out Saturday to get the bus.

John250

PR Founding Father
And at what price? FI is not all that it is cracked up to be. Carbs were pretty good, and easy to work on......do we really need FI on a motocross bike? Once again adding to the cost of racing.

dmx153

PR Founding Father
Yes Mike, Hershey put me up to that! Sharc, it's the bike I bought off of CMoist that evomx244 delivered
to me at the Vet Fest. I love the bike, just one of those things from it sitting too long I guess.

Bill480

PR Addict
Yes Mike, Hershey put me up to that! Sharc, it's the bike I bought off of CMoist that evomx244 delivered
to me at the Vet Fest. I love the bike, just one of those things from it sitting too long I guess.

I've read a lot of stories about dirty fuel killing pumps as well. Not sure on how truthful it is but I run one of those sock in the gas tank type filters now.

hershey

PR Elite

Hey! No I didn't! I get enough things stirred on my own .... I don't need your help! Lol

mx049

PR Elite
Put pre-mix in the 76 Maico 250 a few weeks ago after sitting for14 months, 3 kicks it fired up....not bad for 36 years old...only wish I could race it!

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
had a bad fuel pump in my ktm 350..was a real PITA to figure out. Also with our crappy ethanol in our fuel these days, i recommend running startron or something similar with it.

MXracn746

PR Addict
Put some fresh gas in the 450 and ran it up and down the street a couple times then parked it in the garage. My neighbors love me!

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
laced up new wheels last night!! tonight, new oil filter cover, radiator hose install, and hopefully graphics if they have arrived

Tom

PR Elite
While you guys are putting them up. I'm getting mine out. Earlywine Indoor series. lol

freitag476

PR Member
Well I went trail riding over the weekend, and last night I looked at my bike thinking about washing it but it was way too cold haha but my dog decided he wanted to start cleaning it for me lol

62211_514489255236252_1159496645_n.jpg

beamer315

PR Addict
Awesome pic of the dog. I wish my black lab would do that for me all she does is sit in the way and look cool.

Now as far the bikes go....the 125 got loaded up into the van along with an rmz450 so they can be taken to the new shop. Cleaning out the home shop has been interesting. Amazing the amount of stuff that can be stacked, jammed, and hung all over such a small space.