Ok... What did you do to your bike today??

mgorman

PR Member
That thing is a whale!lol

His hasn't reached maturity yet.

Meet Shamu, aka, The Battlewagon

IMG_20120929_133006.jpg

mgorman

PR Member
Haven't got work much on the bikes but I've been riding them.

You have a Transalp too, how do you like it? I've rode the 950/990 Adventures and they just seem to heavy for me along with Beemer GS's. I've also been eyeing the Yamaha Super Tennere as my next new purchase. Truthfully I'd be happy with a old XR or XT. For you guys that also own street bikes a bike lift is the best tool you can buy.
Had the TA since new in '89. I've had a love affair with rally bikes since the mid eighties. For some reason I can't bring myself to sell it. It's beyond it's years and showing the effects of aging. Since new I've only replaced a speedo cable, CDI, diaphragm in the petcock and the front rotor which I wore to almost 50% cross sectional loss. The brakes suck compared to most bikes but get the job done as long as you don't push hard for extended time. I've had smoke pouring off it from pushing too hard. The rear is a drum, works better than the 950's disc and is still has the original shoes.

The motor is smooth and the power delivery is pretty linear. Our combine weight is around 330, with me at 200 and there is more than enough power to ride 2 up without abusing it or the clutch. Top speed used to be 120+ but this past summer I had a chance to see what it'd do and 110 was it. The wife and I did the ATV loop at Rocky Gap on it 2-up with no problem, you just need to take your time.

It has been retired as an off-roader except for the occasional 2 track due to the fact there is no new plastic left in the world that isn't being horded and what comes up for sale is cracked and needs repaired. That and even when new, the plastic didn't have enough elasticity and was too hard and cracked easy unlike the KTM plastic that is semi rubbery. It's sort of like KLR plastic.

The GS is a road bike that can do some off-roading by a decent rider. I've ridden with a few that can make them work. Your check book will spontaneously combust when you drop it. The 950 is more a big street legal dirtbike that as Linder mentioned, you need to respect. Think of it as a big mule, manipulate to where you want it to go or it will stomp the life out of you. I drop mine a lot, it's scratched but fine.

Anyone thinking of a big dual sport should watch this 1st

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zibj7KnjClk&feature=share&list=UUAAE2VwSG-OHoaUDrap1o7w

Sorry about the hijack

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Tore the bike down. Drained fuel removed subframe, airbox and pipe. Polished the pipe. Found my steering stem "all-ball" bearing kit to be destroyed. They looked 40 years old. And I just replaced em in April. Going oem this time.

Anybody have problems with stem bearings ?? Top bearing was fine. Bottom bearing that's pressed I to the clamp is shot and looks like it went through hell. Reces are fine. Pics to come tomorrow.

Bill480

PR Addict
Noticed that my bars were bent after my 3 or 4 crashes at Smith the last few times I was there.. Motosport had a cyber monday sale - $30 for bars and mounts. Not bad. Also picked up some ODI grips finally, want to see what all the hype was about. They really do lock on. The non-throttle side grip needed to be pounded on though.. not sure if it was because of the bars or if the grip was just made to small. Getting it off when the time comes is going to be a chore.

2012-12-02231330.jpg

Wasted 18 hours last Saturday driving to IL and back going to pick up that bus. Got there and it had rusted out/leaking brake lines. So much for being "100% mechanically, ready to drive anywhere!". And now the seller refuses to give me back my $1000 deposit. Joy

2012-12-01161554.jpg

:(

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
wow that sucks!!! hopefully you paid via paypal for the deposit, they are usually pretty fair from my experience on working through issues like that.

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Regarding those HF stands, skip that and get one of these rolling lift stands. They are awesome, don't take up any more space than a regular stand, and you can roll it around the garage with your bike on it. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

http://pitposse.com/poscli.html

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
Regarding those HF stands, skip that and get one of these rolling lift stands. They are awesome, don't take up any more space than a regular stand, and you can roll it around the garage with your bike on it. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

http://pitposse.com/poscli.html

dang that looks sweet. At first my thought was, "well thats nice but what do I really need it for" .... then I thought even just to save my back bent over adjusting the chain or tightening spokes and stuff, would be worth it!!! (yes im getting old and it hurts just to do things like that sometimes lol)

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Exactly. You can't believe how much easier it is to work on a bike all night in the garage while standing instead of crouching.

You have to make sure to get the good one like that from PitPosse that have hook bolts that go through the footpegs. Some cheaper ones have little springs to hook to the pegs, rubbish.

I can put my 450 on that stand, raise it to full height, and roll it around the garage. Can also take the wheels off etc with no issues.

Bill480

PR Addict
wow that sucks!!! hopefully you paid via paypal for the deposit, they are usually pretty fair from my experience on working through issues like that.

yea i paid with paypal. right now i have an ebay dispute, a paypal dispute, and i disputed the charge with my CC company.

it sounds like i'm going to get my money back but its just stressful =/

i still want a bus though! thing would of been sweet if it wasnt a total POS

John250

PR Founding Father
I just bought some wheels off Ebay. First thing I have purchased from Ebay. They looked fine in the photos, and the seller said they were in great shape. Upon getting them they look like someone has painted them, and the paint is not smooth since the surface underneath was not good. Can I go back on this guy? I would just assume send the suckers back to him. Obviously his excellent and my excellent condition are not even close. I did pay with paypal.

hershey

PR Elite
I had my hour meter mounted to a bracket that goes on your steering head. Some how the thing cracked and my hour meter almost fell off. I remounted it to the head stay. Today I get the joy of changing the rear tube. I have gotten 4 flats this year between my 2 bikes after like 4 years of not having flats.

Bill480

PR Addict
I just bought some wheels off Ebay. First thing I have purchased from Ebay. They looked fine in the photos, and the seller said they were in great shape. Upon getting them they look like someone has painted them, and the paint is not smooth since the surface underneath was not good. Can I go back on this guy? I would just assume send the suckers back to him. Obviously his excellent and my excellent condition are not even close. I did pay with paypal.

First step would be to ask the seller if you could return them. You will have to pay for return shipping but if he agrees then this is the easiest solution.

If he doesn't respond or says no, next step would be to open up an eBay claim/dispute. It's somewhere in My Ebay. Will have to plead your case ie: item wasn't as described.

eBay seems to side with the buyer 99% of the time so I would say you have a pretty good chance of getting your money back.

pasimp57

PR Addict
Took the decals of my 05 YZ 250 ready for the new owner. Put the hour meter on the new bike. Took apart the lowering link and greased the bearings, and the steering stem bearings, and the swingarm bearings.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father

you should be fine, contact him first as suggested and then open a dispute if he does not respond. you could open the dispute now just to be proactive abouut it.. and cancel it if he responds and agrees. either way it will end in your favor, worse case you lose out on the cost of shipping them back.

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Obviously his excellent and my excellent condition are not even close.

I have learned quite a bit doing the bike restores that I've done. Yes, "excellent" condition seems to be a large sliding scale. I've learned how to better purchase on Ebay and the things to look for to make sure I am happy with what I get.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I always tell them I want atleast 10 high quality full detail pictures. Then I take pictures of a similar part like my rear wheel 10 different times and ask them to replicate it.

Make sure they don't photoshop the crap to make the colors nicer. I Always get unedited high quality photos.

loneranger171

PR Addict
I always tell them I want atleast 10 high quality full detail pictures. Then I take pictures of a similar part like my rear wheel 10 different times and ask them to replicate it.

Make sure they don't photoshop the crap to make the colors nicer. I Always get unedited high quality photos.
I better hit the garage tonight.... I haven't looked at the bikes since my first post...lol

VETRIDER801

PR Member
I am restoring a 1985 kx-125 I plan on making it out next year to ride it, had one back in the day ran solid on it at honda hills and muskingham valley, it will be nice just to get on a 2 stroke again, I will post some pics when its done if you guys want to see it

I looked at my yamy tonight, this weekend I will make a list of what it needs for next year

at least I clened it up after the indoors, lol