OMA X classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

John250

PR Founding Father
So what about ammending schoolboy to be ages 13-17, and collegeboy to 18-29yrs. And drop 25+? AND NONE OF THIS IS HAPPENING SO CALM DOWN PEOPLE, yet. Just random thoughts as my brain gets back to full steam after my nightmare of a Christmas cold. Just wanting feedback.

I say try it. Makes sense to me. As everyone else said, go with what you have now. Perhaps after a year of records on your class sizes and gates, track time, hours in a day etc., JO and Jason can sit down and look at the data. Then you can accurately make a determination of what is best for OMA and the sport. I believe is what I have seen from JO, that he would then PROBABLY make a common sense decision on what would be best and why. Remember, they are here to improve the current racing conditions in Ohio. First and foremost, they want to improve track and facility conditions and put on a great show for all. do that right this year, next year look at attempting to improve the class structure to what helps out the tracks and the riders.

Woody

PR Addict
Wow. OMA is taking a beating on facebook. It absolutely hilarious how everyone screams for less classes/more track time/shorter day until it come to messing with their classes.

I'm beginning to think giving out 6' trophies to everyone at signup would do the trick.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Got it...
Race order:
50 Jr.
A
Mini Jr.
40+
Mini Sr.
B
50 Sr.
Schoolboy
30+
18 - 29
C

Sprinkle in Quads (I dont know there classes)
15 total classes X 2 motos 15 min each = 30 motos and 7.5 hours two 15 intermissions equal 8 hours. practice at 8am til 9, riders meeting. Racing start at 9:30am, everyone is gone by 5:30 baring injurys.

Dont bother messing with it... Its perfect...lol

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Got it...
Race order:
50 Jr.
A
Mini Jr.
40+
Mini Sr.
B
50 Sr.
Schoolboy
30+
18 - 29
C

15 total classes X 2 motos 15 min each = 30 motos and 7.5 hours two 15 intermissions equal 8 hours. practice at 8am til 9, riders meeting. Racing start at 9:30am, everyone is gone by 5:30 baring injurys.

I almost forgot... Bikini babes as trophy chics

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Wow. OMA is taking a beating on facebook. It absolutely hilarious how everyone screams for less classes/more track time/shorter day until it come to messing with their classes.

I'm beginning to think giving out 6' trophies to everyone at signup would do the trick.

Thats how you stir the pot. Eat your heart out Georgie!!

#23_Racing

PR Addict
haha, you beat me to it...
Yes that is true but it must be proven... And how do you prove that is the same person??? This game has been played for years and it will never go away

I seen a kid get dq on a 50 because a parent had a result sheet from an outlaw track back in a little town where this kid rode in Sr but raced LLQ in Jr he got booted out of that class. It can happen and it does happen.

#23_Racing

PR Addict
Now JO and OMA are heading the right direction.......ELIMINATING classes. I am all for it. WAY too many classes. Lets shorten the day or add track time, I dont care either way. But little johnny doesnt need the 65 extra, 85 extra, two schoolboy classes, the 16-24 class did not exist until a few years ago. Go to one beginner class for big bikes. I seriously think that you could do some drastic class restructuring, and most people would not be upset. If the facitlity and track are great, they will show up and race a class that they fit in.......Too many people think that they need a million classes to please everyone......I dont. do away with 40+.....ok, I will ride 30+, do away with both of them, I will ride 25+........honestly, your only adding a few different people. Most of the 40+ guys are in 30+ etc. Like I said, if the track is great, people will find a class and race.

If I finish 5th or 15th, really does not matter. I dont pick up trophies alot of time anyway (unless its a gas card or something really cool like the Battle of Ohio).

But little johnny doesnt need the 65 extra, 85 extra, two schoolboy classes

This age of riders can and will run 3-4 classes and thats money made. You take a 10 rider he can run 65, 85's that means he can run up to 65-65 extra 85-85 extra jr mini and schoolboy thats 6 classes paid for not to many adults can race that many times in a day. My rider races every class he can when we race local and many times he has raced back to back motos great seat time .

John250

PR Founding Father
Got it...
Race order:
50 Jr.
A
Mini Jr.
40+
Mini Sr.
B
50 Sr.
Schoolboy
30+
18 - 29
C

Knox......You have it down. I am ALL for your class structure. Contact someone at southern ohio Mx and lets get this wave moving!

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Knox......You have it down. I am ALL for your class structure. Contact someone at southern ohio Mx and lets get this wave moving!

Thanks John, If i know anyone anymore I would. Funny how fast the faces changed since I last raced in 2002 but then again, that is a long time.. Besides the D11 guys "Know" everthing, just ask them. Kenworthy will run forever they use to say. No Pro race = No $ = No Don Kenworthy.

#23 let me try to clear the trees so you can see the forest. If little Johnnie ran two clases when there were only 2 to choose from and not 35 then there would be more time available for longer motos. Longer motos IS more seat time. I dont know about you but if i got longer motos at less overall cost, it sounds like a winner. From a track owner standpoint I would not want less classes to being with, heck they make there $ from little Johnnie. but if they had 40 little johnnies insted of 5, I am sure they would be happier then... well happy

As for the LL thing, I am not saying no one gets DQ'ed for running down a class, I am just saying that it has to be proven in an offical protest that it was infact little Johnnie and not another kid named Johnnie.... Besides ohio had like 5 people at Lorrettas this year so whats the big deal.

Hey thats a good point. Can i be the Dave Coombs of the OMA, I love money and my wife is almost as much of a bi#@h as Rita

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I will buy land in Pickerington and we will run the OMA National Motocross Championship in the AMA's back yard.
Damn I love this sport

TCracing

PR Addict
Maybe a basic format is the way to go. Run the basic classes in two Moto format. Tada Day is done for anyone who wants, or needs, to go! Then run additional Motos IE for all the additional and specific classes, in regular two moto format, to satisfy those groups and everyone will be in MX UTOPIA! No heartaches and no loss of income everyone wins?

TimSr90

PR Addict
Brilliant idea: rename A, B, and C to Advanced, Intermediate, and Beginner. Who wants to be champion of the Beginner Class?!?! Or, then better yet, absolutely forbid any kind of points or series award for the beginner class (trophies are always nice for new riders). Gives sandbaggers no real desire to race it.

This is critical for attracting true beginners, and giving them an experience that makes them want to come back and race again. Most "beginner" classes are flooded with sandbaggers.

TimSr90

PR Addict
yes the long days suck for most but people are like sheep and heard to the big / FUN events regardless of time. Yes it's annoying to be running your second moto late in the day but if you want big crowds and full gates then your going to have long days. With turn out comes more injuries, track work, disgruntle people (always someone making a huge to do about in the grand scheme of things nothing) which all leads to longer days.

Ironically, its the same people who complain about long days and too many classes that do the most complaining about tracks with small gates and low turnouts.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
We will be leaving the Open B/C and 250B/C classes as they are. You can run the 250's in both. 25+ staying put. We will more than likely stick with our current class list with one exception. We are going to offer a girls class, we will call it Girls Mini Sr. 10-14, it will be an 85/150 class. I know some guys were wnating it to include 65cc machines, but we feel that at the age and ability, there is nothing wrong with the girls racing the boys in the 65 class. Plus, the plan is to stagger this with the womens class, and we dont feel its a good idea to have a 65cc bike on the track with 250f machines. I think this is the right move. This should make the ladies class 15+.

Spilldawg444

PR Member
Thank you Jeremy and Jason and all involved in creating OMA!

I fall into the category of 30+ rider that raced District 11 and 12. Over the years when I raced Schoolboy, 16-24, 250A ect an average class size was 6 riders. Maybe 10 on a good day. 125C was always a huge class. When I raced A class in early 2000s we would get 2-5 "A" riders. Pretty sad class sizes.

Motocross became sit around and wait for your 4 lap moto. In my opinion that is one of the reasons why people that are MXers at heart, end up riding GPs, Enduro, ect. There are many people who a really want to ride MX but are turned off by class size/short motos. My dad and his riding buddies are perfect examples. Off road vet guys all used to Moto and they are the ones who now have the $$$ to buy $8,000 KTMs. I am hoping we tap back into the huge pool of off-road people that want to race Moto but have been turned off or drifted away for whatever reason.

I dont care how the classes are structured, the turnout and demand will determine how things go. I am for full gates and long motos. I think its fair to have the ability for most to ride 2 classes. Drop 2 gates for combined classes if people are worried about dangerous starts. With todays technology the scoring should not be a problem, you could run multiple classes at a time. Even competitive classes are spread out after a lap or two. Lets bring fitness back into play for local moto racing.

I race 30+ at Fast Traxx and we are combined with the 25+ every time. The 30+ guys have no problem hanging or beating the younger guys. On most days the 30+ guys pass half of the 16-24 and Schoolboy Class that starts ahead of us. So making a 16-29 class would save some space.

I bought my OMA membership and support the cause. Its nice to see action on these boards that was not the case a year ago!

Kenny Henry

PR Member
Am I allowed to race whatever class I want the first year? Think I'm going for 250 C and open C then next year I'll race 250 B and Open B. That is if i get advanced.

Michael

PR Addict
So what about ammending schoolboy to be ages 13-17.

Do it, just for one season. Then I get to beat my brother every race.

But, in all honesty I think that's a more appropriate age for school boy. College boy on the other hand, I think 18-24 is better as opposed to 18-29.

Status
Not open for further replies.