Winter Projects?

I saw the IT on the vintagemx board and contacted 4ws mark about it,seems mark needs some work on his 2 valve BMW boxers and I'm the guy for that so I gues we are doing a labor for bike trade,this looks to be a long term project,good thing I got the triumph for some off road fun

96 cr 250.jpg Finally finished our 1996 CR 250

It's alive.....IT'S ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sad that we lost the earlier photos on this bike but I think most of you remember the story on my 1974 MX250.
I wish I had more time to do a much more detailed restore and rebuild but I would never have any of the other racers ready. The important thing was to get together and running for this race season.

I got the bike to fire off for first time 2-3 weeks back, but hard to start and wouldn't stay running. Not wanting to fight it in a cold garage, waited patiently and finally got it squared away today. Had a small issue with my PVL ignition.

Anyway here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08250twdvT8&feature=youtu.be

MX250 Runner E.jpg

MX250 Runner D.jpg

MX250 Runner C.jpg

MX250 Runner B.jpg

Circle F pipe and silencer should be here in a couple weeks. A few other small details to work out as well but what a relief!

Riding around the yard for the very first time tonight. Bike is loud as hell, wife made me shut it off, Disturbing the Peace!

Looks cool. I'll admit I stared at it for a few seconds wondering why it had passenger pegs on it.

It's alive.....IT'S ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sad that we lost the earlier photos on this bike but I think most of you remember the story on my 1974 MX250.
I wish I had more time to do a much more detailed restore and rebuild but I would never have any of the other racers ready. The important thing was to get together and running for this race season.

I got the bike to fire off for first time 2-3 weeks back, but hard to start and wouldn't stay running. Not wanting to fight it in a cold garage, waited patiently and finally got it squared away today. Had a small issue with my PVL ignition.

Anyway here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08250twdvT8&feature=youtu.be

View attachment 8278

View attachment 8279

View attachment 8280

View attachment 8281

Circle F pipe and silencer should be here in a couple weeks. A few other small details to work out as well but what a relief!

Riding around the yard for the very first time tonight. Bike is loud as hell, wife made me shut it off, Disturbing the Peace!

Very trick, nice work ! Your just about ready for your next project maybe a 82 YZ490 or how about a 84 YZ250

Looks cool. I'll admit I stared at it for a few seconds wondering why it had passenger pegs on it.

Thanks,

Passenger pegs, kinda funny. Does look like it dudn it?
I'm really up in the air on what to consider for replacement shocks. With only 4" travel and like a block of lead, not exactly sure any shocks are really ideal?

Very trick, nice work ! Your just about ready for your next project maybe a 82 YZ490 or how about a 84 YZ250

So what exactly is the latest on your YZ agenda? Progress & Pic's?

It is in my plans to get an 83 or 84 YZ.
I've been asked by the Speaker of the House, "No-More tote box bikes please". :)

I
Thanks,

Passenger pegs, kinda funny. Does look like it dudn it?
I'm really up in the air on what to consider for replacement shocks. With only 4" travel and like a block of lead, not exactly sure any shocks are really ideal?

A big cushy seat and decent shocks makes things better even with vintage travel. My thermoflow shock experience was back in the day and not all that great. My vintage bikes all came with Progressives that seem to work well. If we are ever in the same place at the same time, you are welcome to bolt on a pair to try them.

What's that comment about a more detailed restore? Looks too pretty to race right now!

the big problem I had with mine was that it felt like a bit of a low rider,closer to the ground than any of my other bikes,I remember the last ride on it at smith ,coming up the hill on to the straight by the railroad track and getting my left foot dragged off the peg in a rut twisting my ankle,garage find it and a dt125 for $50 it was a "my wife wants them out of the garage" deal

So what exactly is the latest on your YZ agenda? Progress & Pic's?

It is in my plans to get an 83 or 84 YZ.
I've been asked by the Speaker of the House, "No-More tote box bikes please". :)

Not much progess on the 84 a little on the 82 YZ490

Nice 250 MX on the previous page. The Circle F pipe will truly wake it up and make it rev with the PVL ignition. I would definitely work on some shock and fork upgrades. I put Trickit fork updates and Works Performance shocks, made it handle along with the tapered steering bearings.

Interesting?

Yea tapered steering bearings were ordered the moment I loosened the triple clamps and balls dropped all over the floor (what the hell ????). Was thankful they were available.

I've only ridden this thing around the yard, and am sure on my first trip out on practice day for tuning, on a track, that I'm going to be alarmed at how badly the existing suspension sucks. :)

And it actually concerns me a little because I do like to race as aggressively as I can, and get a little air on occasion. But this is a heavy bike, and doesn't feel balanced well at all. Takes about everything I got to get the bike up on the bike stand. No doubt it will take me some time and experience to learn how to ride this thing.

Thanks for the info.
If you have pic's of yours would love to see them.

I
Interesting?

Yea tapered steering bearings were ordered the moment I loosened the triple clamps and balls dropped all over the floor (what the hell ????). Was thankful they were available.

I've only ridden this thing around the yard, and am sure on my first trip out on practice day for tuning, on a track, that I'm going to be alarmed at how badly the existing suspension sucks. :)

And it actually concerns me a little because I do like to race as aggressively as I can, and get a little air on occasion. But this is a heavy bike, and doesn't feel balanced well at all. Takes about everything I got to get the bike up on the bike stand. No doubt it will take me some time and experience to learn how to ride this thing.

Thanks for the info.
If you have pic's of yours would love to see them.

Just remember to land on the rear wheel! lol! The good thing is that once the bike is rolling the weight is close to ground making it less noticeable and with the limited travel the bike's geometry stays consistent so it turns well. The front is light but it will front wheel steer like a four stroke in the woods. Just steer and go! You will discover some leg muscles that don't get a workout on a more modern bike. Should be an enjoyable new experience if you slow down to go faster...

NQ1965,

Nice restore as the Yamaha as it looks very sweet & bet you can't wait to get it on the track!

Maico Mark

Honestly I'm in awe at the meticulous detail work many of you guys put into your bikes, especially Pit's RM's.

Even if I didn't struggle with spare time, I don't have the patience for that level of perfection. I usually just want it run and be mechanically sound so that I can go out and bang it up racing. Even my newer bikes often don't look that good.

Back