Josh Hansen

Spag, we understand what your saying but it is for the betterment of our sport. Like you said, the soccer mom that goes to target because Dungey is the exact market we need to attract. With all due respect, the "market" Hansen relates to either don't have jobs or are just starting out... Both of those groups have no money to buy stuff... They get $200 a month from their allowance and then spend it on Monster and way over priced headphones.
I know you love it when I compare moto to NASCAR so here it goes again. In the late 80's and early 90's NASCAR exploded in popularity. WHY? The cars were going the same speed, driven by mostly the same guys... A major reason is the influx of outside money from the mainstream world. Why did they get that money? Because they marketed the product (racing) to a larger group of society. It kinda snowballs... More popularity = more sponsors = more money for everyone evolved = Growth of the business All GREAT things.
Moto is always going to be considered an "extreme" sport and dominated by young people, that's a given. But when large sponsors are attracted to our sport we don't need knit hat wearing douche bags LOOKING like they are going to use the money to buy Evian Water in their bong.

Or it has to do a lot more with terrible TV coverage where they are constantly on RV's nuts, so people only see his bike most of the time - a smaller bike to showcase sponsor decals, and race promotions that rarely mention the companies who support the sport.

I understand what you're saying, but the cocky way you sterotype people makes me sick. That's my issue.

"With all due respect, the "market" Hansen relates to either don't have jobs or are just starting out... Both of those groups have no money to buy stuff... They get $200 a month from their allowance and then spend it on Monster and way over priced headphones." - really?

You just shouldn't be so judgemental about how someone looks. What are you gonna do when Dungey comes to A1 with a neck tat and a knit hat? Now your role model just became a douchebag.

Dungey used to have a gauge earring when he won Loretta Lynn's schoolboy class and then signed on as a professional. Where is that gauge now? Gone, because he's making the most of his chance to make money being the most "likable" persona he can be and attract mainstream sponsors without creating any negative feelings based on having an earring.

Josh Hansen is doing the same on the other side of the spectrum. He's playing the cool long haired tattoo guy because that's the only market that will support him with sponsorship so he has to go that way. He plays up the fact that he's a rebel, living outside the norm, and does things that are out of the ordinary for regular folks.

The problem is that they are both tied to our same sport looking for the same money from the limited sponsorship opportunities available. You have both competing for money out there and we need more money in the sport overall.

The problem comes from whining about not having more money in sport, more TV Coverage, better TV Channels, etc....... the mainstream is controlling where those things come from and while Dungey is doing his part to bring in Target to our sport, the Procter and Gamble's of the world don't want to be involved in something that can turn off the world to Tide detergent by sponsoring something that is also tied to Josh Hansen in some way. He keeps other mainstream big money away from the sport by being non mainstream and tied to same sport (in the public's eye) that Ryan Dungey is.

Want more money, TV Coverage, and teams in the sport....... we have to become more mainstream as a group overall to attract those companies.

It's all common sense and not necessarily right or wrong as to a personal style question.

Or it has to do a lot more with terrible TV coverage where they are constantly on RV's nuts, so people only see his bike most of the time - a smaller bike to showcase sponsor decals, and race promotions that rarely mention the companies who support the sport.

I understand what you're saying, but the cocky way you sterotype people makes me sick. That's my issue.

"With all due respect, the "market" Hansen relates to either don't have jobs or are just starting out... Both of those groups have no money to buy stuff... They get $200 a month from their allowance and then spend it on Monster and way over priced headphones." - really?

Sterotype's are based on facts. And my cocky attitude is based on me being correct. Dude, the "headphones" quote was funny and you know it.

Chris mentioned NASCAR. MANY on here hate NASCAR (I like it, but I love all motorsports), but we need to follow their model. Rocket brought up P&G. Tide detergent would be an awesome sponsor for Motocross. EVERY motocrosser (except for the douche bags that never wash their stuff) uses laundry detergent after a day of racing. Why would P&G not want to market to this crowd?

Companies are very careful about everything they associate their products and name with. And some do not want to be associated with some in our sport because of their image. Look at Michael Waltrip racing. They try to change the outcome of a race with some team maneuvering at Richmond.........the fall out from that is still happening. NAPA, long time MWR Sponsor, is dropping MWR. 5 Hour Energy, is looking at possibly cutting ties with MWR and Clint Bowyer, because they don't want to be associated with a team getting so much negative publicity.

So everything you do affects how motocross is perceived in the main stream market.

if thats the case then the first thing we need to do is close down vitalmx

VitalMX doesnt get sponsorship $ for our sport. Nascar has follower sites every bit as bad or worse.

I agree with both sides but if you are solely talking about doing the absolute best you can to draw big money sponsors for yourself as a rider, team sponsorship and/or for our sport as a whole then clean cut professional looks are where it is at. You are still going to be able to make big money with sponsorship but you simply wont do as well if you are sporting the full blown bad boy slacker partier image.

7 pages of hate because you don't like the way the guy looks. that's commitment.

love it.

we are all saying the same things and all on the same page i think. everyones just saying it differently.

We all are smart enough to know that theres a time and place for dressing this way or that way. I think the only issue anyones referring to here is that of.. why does anyone care what he looks like? Hes NOT going to job interviews. HES RIDING A DIRT BIKE.

When you see video of him at a job interview and he has a beanie on and his tatted arms hanging out... THEN you can post a 8 page discussion on why hes an idiot. Until then... WHO CARES ABOUT ANY OF IT!?!? yiiiiikesssss

I don't care about the tats, knit hat, lip piercing, tight jeans or goofy ass clothes he wears. The douche bag is a low life leach and gives the sport a bad image.

Clean up on isle 14. Hansen, bring a bucket.

everyone better send an email to josh grant and millsaps on how to get sponsors with big companies, considering they are hood with all their tattoos.... wait, wasnt Millsaps in a toyota commercial or something? oh well, they arent a big company.

I don't care about the tats, knit hat, lip piercing, tight jeans or goofy ass clothes he wears. The douche bag is a low life leach and gives the sport a bad image.

Clean up on isle 14. Hansen, bring a bucket.

ddd1n.jpg

everyone better send an email to josh grant and millsaps on how to get sponsors with big companies, considering they are hood with all their tattoos.... wait, wasnt Millsaps in a toyota commercial or something? oh well, they arent a big company.
If I recall correctly... nary a tat was shown in any of those commercials... and they were all dressed in.... wait for it..... riding gear...
No knit hats.

Spag I'm not saying ALL people with tats are douche bags but this dude happens to have tons of tats and is a giant .... well, douchebag. And that makes him into the exact stereotype you don't like.
Its all about helping the sport. Grant and Millsaps are "likeable" to the average outsider. Why? I say... No knit hat... (Now I know someone will find picture of both of them in knit hats. lol.)

Better clarify that.... no knit hats in the summer when it's 90 degrees out and no real use for a knit hat. Everyone is wearing Knit Hats at the SX rounds when it's cold outside that are usually team / sponsor issue, so it shouldn't be hard to find riders wearing hats at the early SX rounds in the winter.

I agree that Toyota did use riders with tattoos in their commercials, but those tattoos were not visible in the commercials.... if they were, I'm sure they had them covered to look like they did not have tattoos. Show me a Toyota commercial where you can see a lot of tattoos......... I doubt anyone will find one.

Back