Loretta Lynn Qualifiers

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
I can't say it's all about the money. I've seen alternate riders at the Regionals turned away and given refunds when there were open spots on the gate.

Most people make the assumption that once the class breaks 40-42 riders for registered spots at the Regional, then everyone gets in and runs qualifiers if they pay the money. That's actually NOT the case! They take 64 riders total, that is it and that comes from 8 Area Qualifiers and 8 guarenteed spots to fill from each for a total of 64 possible entries per class. So if you do not get a top 8 at the Area you may not get in.

I think they have done the best job that they can in coming up with a workable system that provides great racing with full gates at the Regionals. In a way I like it when there are more than 40 riders there because then your first moto is less racers so you sort of get yourself going and warmed up.

Like Robin said it is a business and they do the best they can to operate it as a business and make a living and also create a championship for us racers.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Regionals are a joke. Once I went to a regional and had to qualifi for a Qualifier. Thats when I stop going . Its all about money.
Ya lost me........You may have to ride more than expected but you don’t pay any more or less ?

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I think what he's saying is that he wants to Qualify for the regional and run 3 square moto's without having to re-qualify. How it used to be in the early 90s....(but probably because there weren't nearly as many riders attempting to qualify either.)

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
I think what he's saying is that he wants to Qualify for the regional and run 3 square moto's without having to re-qualify. How it used to be in the early 90s....(but probably because there weren't nearly as many riders attempting to qualify either.)
What?
I ran LL in the 90's too ya know......
MX was bigger in the 90's than it is now.
I had classes that were overfull.
......it didn't cost any more then....and it dont cost any more now.
Toms point is mute.....period.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Yea, I can't attest to any class in the 90s other than the ones I ran. I just don't remember having to re-qualify at a regional until we tried on superminis. I dont even think my dad had to qualify at a regional in vet classes in 94 and 95.

But you would think if it wasn't all about money then mx sports wouldn't overbook a regional.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
What’s the hang up with the money?.....They don’t charge you anymore because the class is over booked.<O:p</O:p
And you guys keep saying Re-qualify?????.....that’s wrong, you’re already at the Regional. What you mean is you may not be fast enough to make the cut out of the Regional.<O:p</O:p
Every class has the potential to be overbooked. Do the math, simple multiplication. It’s done that way on purpose in an effort to make big, full gates. <O:p</O:p
For me, the full gates are part of reason this is so much fun.....not the other way around. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
If anyone would ever use a calculator and multiply it out............. they are trying to get full gates for the Regional. The way it is set up, there are 64 guaranteed spots (8 spots at each of 8 area qualifiers) for the regional. When you show up for the regional, you expect to get to race in your class (which you do if your class has more than 40 riders in it show up) just in a split first moto (lets say 32 in each moto). Then if you finish in the top 18 you move directly to moto 2, if you finish 19 - 32 you move to Consi moto. All the 19 - 32 riders from both groups ride together in a consi moto with the top 4 getting to ride in MOTO 2 of the Regional............... getting scored 19, 20, 21, and 22 for MOTO 1 score. The riders finishing in spots 5 - 24 in the consi moto are given the opportunity (at Red Bud for sure) to run on a second gate drop behind your class that isn't scored if you want to ride in Moto 2 and Moto 3 of the regional (although most riders opt out of riding these moto's because they are pissed off that they didn't make the cut to have a chance at Loretta Lynns.) Therefore you get to run all the motos you paid for when signing up, and actually more tracktime (due to the consi race) than those that make the cut and only ride 3 motos.

Sharc is saying that you get a full gate and aren't fast enough or have some bad luck and don't get to have full regional scored......... is your fault and you still get to ride. It's part of the game as it's set up and shouldn't be a surprise when you get there.

I love the full gates and big motos at the regional level, they are some of the most fun and intense racing that you get anywhere, and that's the real thrill of racing for me. I think MX Sports does a good job of providing the best racing out there for amatuers against each other on a yearly basis and no other race is near as sought after as Loretta Lynns. Getting there isn't about money, signing up early, winning a lottery of entries............ it's for the fastest Amatuers on the racing circuit of any given year throughout the whole riding season.

Tom

PR Elite
(And you guys keep saying Re-qualify?????.....that’s wrong, you’re already at the Regional. What you mean is you may not be fast enough to) (make the cut out of the Regional.)

What I trying to say is I made it in at my Area Qualifier. I finish 6th. So I'm in right. WRONG. I go to my Regional Qualifier. Theirs to many. So you got to Qualifier again? I thought that what the fxxxxxx Area Qualifer is doing taking the top 8 from each Area Qualifier. If thats not how it works then I'm wrong. Sorry for the misstake.

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Tom they have changed it a bit. You are right but it's a little different now.

Yes you are correct there can be more than 40 riders that "qualified" for the Regional and therefore you have to qualify again. They used to actually run qualifiers in the morning on the first day of the Regional to see who the 42 riders are that get to run the 3 motos, but it's not like that anymore. They split up the first motos into two heats and then just continue from there with the second and third motos.

It's all in the wording and careful reading. The actual wording on the process is that if you get top 8 at an Area Qualifier you are guarenteed an entry to the Regional. So....yes you got your spot there by finishing top 8, but 63 other riders could have done that as well.

So anyone going to WildCat Creek in a couple weeks?

Zman

PR Addict
As of today Zman was bagging Wildcat.

Yeah, Pit... I'm over being pissed off at our Tomahawk debacle! We r gonna give it another whirl.. Taking the family again and hoping to find a used class C Toyhauler RV before then! Doubt that will happen, but eventually will back in the RV business.

It is a smaller track so thinking of just running the YZ125 and leaving the 450 at home, or I may take it and compare lap times. I will say, if I'm close on both bikes, I'm selling the 450, building a 125, and running it.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
As of today Zman was bagging Wildcat.

That must have been 30 minutes before he talked to me and asked to borrow the trailer for the weekend so he could bring both bikes and compare lap times! It's hard to keep up with Zman's mood swings!

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Guess so! That has to be a record, even for Zman to go from quitting racing to buying a ToyHauler.

Looks like we have a small group in for Wildcat -- me, Beenridin, Double D.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
Don't forget Zman and Mitchy! And when Zman goes to sell everything in a couple of weeks, there will be a Toyhauler Class C motor home in the mix too!

Tom

PR Elite
Yeah, Pit... I'm over being pissed off at our Tomahawk debacle! We r gonna give it another whirl.. Taking the family again and hoping to find a used class C Toyhauler RV before then! Doubt that will happen, but eventually will back in the RV business.

It is a smaller track so thinking of just running the YZ125 and leaving the 450 at home, or I may take it and compare lap times. I will say, if I'm close on both bikes, I'm selling the 450, building a 125, and running it.
Zman my brother has a coachman rv with less then 30,000 miles he would take 3000.00 for it.

Zman

PR Addict
Guess so! That has to be a record, even for Zman to go from quitting racing to buying a ToyHauler.

Looks like we have a small group in for Wildcat -- me, Beenridin, Double D.

It is hard to be as unpredictable as I am! It's worse than being an alcoholic. U wanna quit as the frustration of the sport drives u nuts. Then u talk to someone that is in the sport and then add that it is deeply imbedded in my blood. At the end of the day, it does not seem possible to let it go! Best I ever did was step aside for a couple years. U can see how that retirement worked out.

Rocket, get off the board and make sure that trailer is ready to roll!

John250

PR Founding Father
Tom I agree with you. When you get to the regional should be the top 40 in each class......3 motos. Easy math.